driving to the bus stop?

for those of you who drive to the bus stop, do you take the time to have the kids sit in their car seats and buckle or not bother since it's so close?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I drive my kids to the bus stop every day, and we buckle up every time. It only takes a second for something to happen, and it's not worth it. Over the summer, I made two long road trips in the span of one weekend, one to another state. I came back home, and crashed within a mile of my house. Every seatbelt, every time.
    purpleswiper

Answer by purpleswiper at 9:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i have 4 kids, all in car or booster seats and they want to get out again when we get there anyway, so no, i don't bother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Seatbelts and carseats every time!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Why would you drive to the bus stop? What's wrong with you and your kids getting a little fresh air and exercise?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• we live in a rural neighborhood and are 5 houses away from the bus stop so to be honest, we don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• If the bus stop is that close, why are you driving to it? Why not just walk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• If you are close enough to deem it "safe" to not buckle up your kids on the way to the bus stop, you are close enough to walk. If the weather prevents you from walking, then PLEASE buckle up yourself and your kids EVERY time you are in the car. Not doing so is dangerous and irresponsible, no matter how close your destination is, and teaches your kids the bad habit of not buckling up when they don't want to.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• we're close enough to walk but we don't because we don't live in a good neighborhood and i feel more comfortable with the safety of the car around us. my sister is also close enough to walk to her stop but the corner where the stop is intersects with a main road and the cars just fly by, she needs to keep her younger kids confined to the car so they don't get run over. just putting this out there because not everyone is too lazy to walk, they might just have circumstances in which they can't.
    Anonymous

• for the moms that say its to dangerous to not buckle in to drive 1/4 mile to bus stop, FYI- Buses DO NOT have seatbelts at all, My sister is a bus driver and sees what goes on on buses, My kids will never ride the school bus.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 2:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• sarahdicksonjr......The school busses where we live have seatbelts and the kids are made to use them. I know b/c my son spends the first 2 weeks of school complaining about having to wear them...lol.

If your local busses don't have them, then it sounds like some research needs to be done in your area regarding bus accidents & #'s of injuries, then once you are armed with the information, you can petition that seatbelts be put on your local busses, too.
    Anonymous