Why do some people not follow instructions/rules?

Why is it, if the speed limit is 30, there usually is someone going 40 or 50? Why is it, if the office has a policy of no cell phones, someone will no doubt use their cell phone? Why is it that some people don't stop at stop signs, just slow down and roll through them? And why do they have speed up through yellow lights? If the form says "DO NOT write below this line" someone will write below the line.

Rules and laws are there for a reason. Most are for the protection of your fellow man or to keep a business or process operating smoothly. These rules were considered carefully and much thought and time went into them. So why are some people so quick to think they know what is better?

Ok, I'm done venting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OMG I know what you mean! Yesterday I took my girls to the mall before it opened so they could play in the little playplace they have there, it's specifically designed for children 42" and under. Well wouldn't you know it that some dumbass mom let her 4 boys who were all like 6 and up blast through it like a herd of elephants? The damn structures are small enough for crawlers to play on, and the sign is loud and clear that it's for 42" and under. So of course my 11 month old and 3 year old couldn't play, I didn't want them to get trampled. I think some people ignore the rules because they just don't care, some probably honestly don't see them, and some are just stupid.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• because it's like all the rude people have taken over in society. People think that because we live in America land of the free they are entitled to do whatever they feel like! People seem to have the attitude that it is there "right" to do what they want even if it means infringing on another persons "right" I really wish people were more thoughtful and it seems to be getting worse and worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Because some people have the mindset that they are above all laws and rules and that they don't apply to them. These people feel that such laws and rules are nonsense and can be bent to their will and disregarded when they see fit.
    Of course, these are the same people who are crying out for justice if they feel that the police are not investigating one of their reports properly, if someone else speeds down a road and hits them, or if they have been "harmed" in some way due to someone else's disregard.
    Amusingly, when they feel an injustice has been done to them for things they do themselves, they demand stricter laws and regulations. Then they turn around and continue their actions as they always have.
    There isn't a person who follows every single law and regulation 100%, but most decent, thoughtful, and law-abiding citizens will do their best.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• ya know whats worse than ppl driving over the speed limit? the idiots who drive 5-10 miles under the speed limit...theres no one to give their "cautious" butts a ticket! and sometimes its easier to speed up to get thru a yellow light than slam on your brakes causing the idiot behind you to ram you.

but yeah i agree w/ the PP...the ppl who do the things you're venting about just think they are too good for the "stupid" rules put into place. the cell phone thing bugs me like no other...i mean how important do you think you are that you need to check you messages every 10 mins just to hear someone say "hey how are you, im fine, talk to you later"
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Because in America there is this overwhemling sense of entitlement. "Yeah there are rules but they don't apply to ME" mentality. This is why IMO our society is in the state of decline that it is; no one wants to take personal responsibility for their own actions anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I deal with that in my office. Just because we don't clock in or out, ppl think they can stroll in 15 minutes late and leave 15 minutes early. Take hour and a half lunches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Those people are so annoying. If they don't like the rules, they should work to change them, not break them and make it more difficult for everyone. Grrr to them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• People think they're above the law. They're in too much of a hurry to stop and think of what laws they're breaking. Some people just don't care. I mean there are a thousand reasons why people do stupid things, but none of them justify what they're doing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009