Applesauce

Does anybody have a really good recipe for homemade applesauce? I have a big bag of apples that I need to make something with.

Bratch1707

Asked by Bratch1707 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I stick to the standard recipe. Just peel & core the apples, boil them til soft, then put them in a processor/blender/mash them yourself and add cinnamon and sugar to taste. My mom adds a little bit of lemonjuice to hers.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• 9-10 medium apples, 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (if you want to sweeten the sauce), 1/4 cup water, & 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, if desired.

Peel & core apples, then coarse chop & dump in a pot w/the water. Add sugar & cinnamon, if using them.

Bring to boil & cook until apples are soft & mash easily w/a fork.

Remove from heat & either pour the apple mix into a blender & puree or use a stick blender in the pot & puree until desired texture is acheived (we like it a bit chunky).

Serve either warm or chilled.

As a side note, I prefer to make applesauce using at least 2 varieties of apples to get the best flavor & have found that using a mix of sweet & tart makes the best sauce. This recipe also double, triples or more very easily, but use half or less of the sugar than what you think you'll need & do taste tests to see if you'll need more b/c it's easy to over-sweeten.

Have fun making your applesauce!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• We just made this at preschool. All we did was peel and slice the apples, some we just chunked up. Put in a pot with brown sugar and cinnamon and cook on low heat until it was all mushy. I used a potato mashers to mash up some of the chunks.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I peel and core, put in a pot with a splash of white wine, cover and simmer. When they are soft, I add cinnamon and sugar to taste.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2009