If you recieve foodstamps are you happy with the amount and do you think it is fair?

My husband and i receive $400 a month for the both of us and my 16 month old son. Im extremely greatful. My problem is that we are about to lose our benifits because after being layed off for over 5 months my husband finally found a job making $10 an hour. It just sucks because after we pay our bills equaling well over $1300 a month there isnt gonna be any money for food. Its scarey and im not really sure what were gonna do. how do social services figure $1o an hour is enough to survive on!

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know of people that get FS. Yes people on SSI only get $10.00. If you wait and let it build up you get a scolding letter for not using it! When if you're disabled and a shut in. You can't get out any way! Its Sad! We're jobless and get one UEC. check. Its not enough to get us by. We get no help or aid. But for people I know that do. Its not enough to survive! That's Sad! Then if you get some food for needy. Many times the can goods are so battered, dented and like 2 years past their sell by dates! Which seems like not worth it either. I wish everyone had enough to get by. To survive! That's my wish for Everyone! Being mean & telling others what to do when you have no clue the position they're in isn't helpful.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• No. I am disabled and get SSI. The most anyone on SSI can get in foodstamps is $10. Its not worth it for $10. Somehow disabled people are supposed to be able to live on $675 a month. I'm starving, literally.

Food banks suck. If you are a single person you get 4 cans of food some flour, sugar, and rice and maybe a couple of other things if they have it. You have to wait in line and get exposed to who knows what. People don't realize when they donate to food banks how little they really help people, at least where I live.

My sons give me food or I would starve.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• b4 i had my son my hubby and i lived in an appartment only making $10 an hour... we qualified for a whole $24 in food stamps. Needless to say we starved for a good 2 years. You gotta make the choice eat or pay bills! Sometimes i wonder if race has anything to do with how much you receive?
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Why would race have anything to do with it. I guarentee if you did it online where they cant tell your race you would get the same amount. Just because you're not getting what you want theres no reason to play the race card. Its people like you who i think would rather have the country segregated so you can have some excuse why you dont make enough money and why the government doesnt give you enough money. How about this get a damn job!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• lol your hilarious!!! No its ppl like you who i would LOVE to be segregated from. Ignorent ppl who speak when they have no idea what they are talking about! My husband works for FedEx and we live in a 2 bedroom house paying $750 a month. i refuse to put my son in daycare after losing my daughter, leaving only one of us to work at a time. Any... My best friend(who is black by the way) does not have any children and lives in section 8 housing only paying $300 a month plus gets $620 a month for foodstamps! How do you justify that??? please id just love to know!!!!

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Angel Food , look them up on line, they give you an amzaing box of food for like 20, I am sorry you have to go through this, is there anyway for you to work part-time when DH gets home?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Food banks suck. If you are a single person you get 4 cans of food some flour, sugar, and rice and maybe a couple of other things if they have it. You have to wait in line and get exposed to who knows what. People don't realize when they donate to food banks how little they really help people, at least where I live.

I work at the food bank and we give our actual groceries. If a family has 4 people they get enough to feed 4 the entire week plus some treats and household supplies. If they have more than 4 we give them extra boxes. They can wait in line which only takes a few minutes or they can have it delivered. We have many volunteers who deliever 7 days a week. Sorry yours sucks but I have lived in 10 different cities and volunteered at all their food banks and they were like this one. You have the money for internet maybe cut that out and you can buy more food for yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Some people don't pay for Internet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• kimigogo... im in the process of doing that now. I have a few applications in and i think target is gonna hire me for the night shift which would be perfect! Im really excited to get started and bring some money money money home lol :)
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Working for FedEx is very respectful job.  Try to help yourself in finding some sort of work.  Like babysitting for others as a part-time job to do at home.  Where there's a will there a way of staying above waters.  Be pro-active!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2009