should i go see a doctor?

all of the other moms i know have routine checkups, do i need one? for as long as i can remember, i only went to planned parent hood for the shot, and to my obgyn for when i was preganat, other than that, i havent been to a doctor....should i go to make sure everythings good to go?

should i wait until something bad happens? i dont want to go and i dont think theres anything wrong with me...
the only reason why i considered it is because i want to make sure nothing is wrong, and diabetes, cancer and thyroids run in my family.... =/

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 9:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Health

• preventative health care is the best thing you can do. Yes most exams will seem like a waste with all test negative and everything fine. But there are a lot fo things that can go wrong that can be prevented. A routine exame can discover red flags such as high blood pressure, abnormal test results, elevated cholestoral (why can I not spell that today?) or physical problems such as a breast lump. These things can be treated and the potential future condition can be prevented or treated early yeilding better survival rates and less cost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• do what you feel is right. u should probably go.. but its your body, only you make that choice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You should get pap smears as often as you were told by your health care provider.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• wow, no ones told about pap smears...=/ not even my obgyn
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 10:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You should get a PAP smear once a year. A mammogram once a years if you are over 40. If that sruff you said is in your family you should talk to a doctor about it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• ok, sounds good. thank you all, ill be making an appointment soon =D
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 10:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I've heard doctors encourage their patients to be active in making their annual routine physical appointment when they turn 25 years old. That way, they can monitor changes in your vitals, lab work, weight, height, etc. for preventative care. It's also a great way to voice any concerns, and answer those nagging questions in the back of your mind about your health and your family health history.

If you have medical insurance, check with your provider. It's very common for insurance companies to cover a routine check-up (or "Wellness exam") at 100% - meaning no co-pays, and no out of pocket expense. Same goes for the lab work that's included in those check-ups. You will probably have to let your doctor's office know that when you check-in so they don't try to charge you a co-pay, and code it correctly.

As a nursing professor once told me: It's better to be proactive than reactive.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 10:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2009