Controversial Topic: I cannot decide whether or not to get my 6 month old a Flu shot

She is in daycare during the week I am interested in opinions please (no immunization bashing) :) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is in group day care like a day care center she is at high risk and should get the shot. No 6 mo should be in group day care! Day care centers are such high risk for disease & babies should not be cared for in that kind of setting. For the same amount of money you should have other options.

If she is cared for by someone in home day care it depends on the ages and number of kids and if they have sibs that go to school.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i would get her the flu shot beings she is in a day care and can catch it rather quickly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i personally would not get it. my 15 month old did in fact get the flu (h1n1). she was prescribed tamiflu and she was better within 2 days. i also have a 2 month old who is breastfed. he never caught the flu from her,and believe me...she is around him 24/7.

if your baby is breastfed then i'd def reccommend not getting the vaccine.
    possible reasons to get the flu shot: if your baby is not breastfed, or if your baby has an underlying medical conditions such as asthma.
    the decision is up to you. hope my info has helped.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I think you should Google as much as you can to make a good opinion.

I do not believe in the flu shots. My SIL got them and she was very sick for a week. Got the flu.

Now if your baby has health reasons then you and your doctor need to talk.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• OP: She in home daycare with (2) 2 year olds, (1) 3 year old. The other kids do have school aged siblings which is why I even thought about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I got mine the flu shot as 6 months and she's had one each year since then. Mine's in day care (Yes, Gaill, she's at a day care center. What a terrible mother I must be! I don't even know how my duaghter made it to 2 1/2 with that death sentence!) , but that's not why I got it. It just seems that their tiny bodys wouldn't do well with the flu. She had a stomach bug at a year and I felt soo bad for her. the throwing up and diahhrea just made her miserable. And the whole family had it. So if I can help prevent that or maybe make it so it's not as bad, then I will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• OP: LOL Anon 11:48! Death Sentence? LOL!!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my ds 8mts and d tow yearl go their shot on monday. my dd got the mist actuaclly. ds ddint even cry when he got the shot!! his awsome
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Gailll....you're a rude moron. There is nothing wrong with a 6 month old being in daycare, especially if it's a necessity for the survival of the family.

DRM...breastfeeding is not going to prevent her from catching the flu if she picks up the virus. Breastfeeding is not the "miracle cure" or "miraculous immunization" you nazi's seem to think it is.

OP...It's totally up to you. If you need other opinions, call various pediatricians, talk to other daycare moms...but a message board isn't the place to get reliable information as you can see by the crap touted by several regulars around here.

It's a judgment call for you. The younger they are, the harder it is...their lungs are smaller. Oh, and you cannot catch the flu FROM the shot as another poster mentioned. It takes 10 days for the shot to become effective in the body and if you're already exposed...you get the flu.

cont...
    Anonymous

• cont...

It's also like any other vaccination. It's not foolproof immunity, but if she does get it there is a bigger chance she would have a lighter case.

My son had the flu (we believe seasonal, not H1N1). He came down with it 3 days after his shots (he received both). That same week...HALF of his class was out with the flu, including his teacher. (shots on Friday, sick on Monday)
    Anonymous