• In the Spotlight:

how do you know your child has add or adhd??

ok my son is a wild one i know boys are very wild but.. when he use to get excited he would like freeze his boy and chake kinda and grand his teeth... when hes ding somthing like watching tv you can yell his name at the top of ur lounges and nothing.. he has a hard time staying still and listening.. but hes sensitive and an awsome kid.. hes just wild as can be and has a hard time.. the doctors wont do anything till hes five but hes only 3 1/2 ..

mrm1787

Asked by mrm1787 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like add/adhd my son has it. he is only on medication durring school. other times i can pretty much try to control him. he has a hard time paying attention b/c his mind is going faster tham him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Honestly, most doctors or therapists will not even attempt to diagnose ADHD until around age 6 (sometimes 5 like you said). My daughter is 7, and they told me that she's even a bit young, but we went through testing and evaluations anyway. One of the things I make sure I do is provide enough protein in her diet, especially first thing in the morning. When she has protein (sometimes I end up just giving her a protein bar if we're pressed for time), she seems to be able to concentrate for longer periods of time. They don't eval for ADHD until they are older, because some kids are just overactive as toddlers/preschoolers and do grow out of it.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• this has been since he was 1 i just feel like im going crazy i have an older gil shes 5 and a younger one shes 14 months.. they arent that wild.. i know eevry childs diffrent but i really think that theres somthing wrong i though about hearing maybe but i had him tested... i thought maybe he wasnt getting enough attention.. so i gave him soo much and nothing.. i just feel like im at lost i have to just deal with it.. he doesnt listen worth anything.. i mean i know its not his fault.. he just gets distracted.. but somtimes theres only so much you can take.. i just feel like somtimes i have to give up .. my husband feels the same way.. i just dont know what to do..
    mrm1787

Answer by mrm1787 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 3 YEAR OLD. HE WILL SIT, BUT FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.
    unisus33

Answer by unisus33 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• yeah most 3 yr old rarely sit still, that is why it is hard to label. most grow out of it. i would look up things you can do on your own, like diet, schedule, excersize based methods of treating adhd. see if that can help him, amazon has a ton of books about that being that so many parents refuse meds now.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• If you get him evaluated NOW, there's a better chance of therapy helping him if he is diagnosed. It is possible to receive a diagnosis this young, but only in extreme cases. If you are concerned...get with a developmental pediatrician and/or psychologist.
    Anonymous

• My son who is 4 was just diagnosed with ADHD. I had tried talking to his dr about it and they told me that legally they can't even consider it until he is 6. Well i figured maybe therapy would help and the therapist said he needs to be on meds because he doesn't concentrate at all. He has now been on meds for about 3 months and they are working great. He is talking better and finally got him potty trained, he was too busy to stop and go before. I would seriously look at all your options not just talking to his dr. Look around and you might find someone who will help sooner. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2009