At what age do you plan to wean or are you going to self wean your LO

What age to you is to old to nurse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i plan to stop at 6 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I will allow mine to self wean, at the moment I am nursing a 2-1/2 year old and a 7 month old.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends all babies breastfeed at least 2 years, 3 years is better. Most children in the US will self wean between the ages of 2 - 4. That may be because in the US the mother may get pregnant while still nursing.

According to anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler its normal for humans to nurse up to 7.

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

I nursed one of my sons until he was 6.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I will stop at 12 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I had originally planned to breastfeed until my DD was 1. But I stopped producing breastmilk when she was 3 months old.

No offense to anyone, but I think much older than 2 yrs old is too long. I can't imagine a preschooler still breastfeeding, much less a 3rd grader. JMO.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My first weaned at 2.5. I have a minimum goal of 2 years this time as well... but hope to make it closer to 3. We'll decide as the time comes.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• If you can nurse until at least a year this is very beneficial for your health and your baby. I am weaning now at 14 months because I'm pregnant and irritable when I nurse. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't have any "plans" on when to wean. My goal is two years, and I will reevaluate and set a new goal once we reach that.

I do know that if I become pregnant and my nipples hurt as badly as they did when I was pregnant with my daughter, I will be weaning. I put up with sore nipples for 8 1/2 months AFTER she was born (OMG it was SOOOO painful!) because she had a crappy latch that nothing I did corrected. Won't be doing that again, now that she is able to go without breastmilk lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Oh, and highschool is a little old to be nursing to me lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• 12mts, why cuz i esclusevely pump and he ate from the breast then 18 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009