If you qualified for cash, food stamps, and housing assistance would you take it?

We get WIC right now. And because we hate being on it, we only have 1 child on it even though several of the kids technically qualify. We are behind on all our bills and really struggle to buy groceries but we don't WANT to take any kind of assistance at all. I was just curious today, so I was googling to see what the income requirements are in our state for all the different state assistance programs. We qualify for everything. We probably aren't going to actually go apply for anything but it really is tempting, especially the food stamps and Section 8. So I was curious, if you needed the help, would you use all the programs? (FYI - we aren't lazy people. My husband works approximately 60-70 hours a week between his full time and part time job.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes I would especially with bills needing to be paid off. Without the assistance you may be in debt forever and as a result you may not be able to help your kids get higher education which will keep your family in the same boat. If you had assistance and paid off your bills with your extra money you would be able to get off assistance and live a financially healthier life.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Not all of it. I'll take assistance with groceries because who doesn't need assistance with groceries these days? Prices have gone up way too high even for their sales.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Its really hard to qualify for cash assistance.

Food stamps actually stimulate the economy. If you get and use food stamps you are helping farmers and the economy. Research it.

http://www.cnsnews.com/Public/Content/Article.aspx?rsrcid=42620

You may want to check into Section 8 more. We were living in a section 8 apartment and when my son turned 19 we no longer qualified and our only income that counted was his just above minimum wage job at Subway. We became homeless. That was just 2 years ago.

The ones you are hurting by not taking food stamps and getting all the WIC you can are your children. Shame on you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yes I would and do. You can be to PROUD to except help that can be very beneficial to your children!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• we are on WIc right now and i love it.
    if we could qualify for food stamps or other assistance id take it. hell ya. especially cause i could use it. some months we actually go in the hole by a few hundred dollars. other months we are right there when we get paid. basically livng packcheck to paycheck right now.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Ok, my first post has some bad typo's and made me sound to be a bitch lol. Ok, you and your hubby are NOT lazy freeloaders, and you pay your taxes so why NOT take advantage of help that's out there. Living is not cheap, not paying your bills can haunt you for YEARS to come. So yes, use the help that is available, in the meantime, try and figure ways to better yourselves financial, like going back to school, learning a trade that is in high demand. But PLEASE dont' be ashamed or too proud, there is no shame in needing and accepting help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Here is the thing that once you start on that path of taking hands out your loose part of that self pride of achieving things on your own. You chip away little by little that dignity, so try to protect that at all cost if possible. Don’t become accustom of sticking that hand out. Good luck
    Anonymous

• We are raising our 3 grandchildren and I don't know what we'd have done without WIC. $45/week just in formula! We're taking everything the government will give us. We paid into the programs and now we need some help now with everything they need. I would say use everything you need but when you no longer need it anymore then go off of it. If we qualified for food stamps we'd take that as well because it'd free up the money for all the diapers we go thru.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Anon, that's not true, when my son was diagnosised with Cancer we took "handouts" hubs squadron put money into a hat for us and gave us 400 dollars, then we got a 500 grant from Air Force Aid society, we also took advantage of free airfare so our son could go to his appointments.
    Granted the airfair was based on donations, but the money we got from Air Force aid society is a government program. WE did qualify for food stamps, but we didn't need them, but if we did at that time I wouldn't have hesitated. WIC pissed me off, so I never used them, eventhough I qualified. So not everybody who uses the help that is out there will loose ANY part of themselves. Dignity is a choice and if you chose NOT to loose it, you won't.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I'm sorry how does accepting help when you need it = taking hand outs. We pay taxes it's our money to and it's what it is their for. I don't except hand outs but I will suck up my damn pride and do what will get my kids taken care. I didn't apply when it was just my dh and me. Now though I put my kids before my pride and when I need help I will beg if I have to. I have starved to make sure they are fed. It is called being a GOOD MOM>
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2009