Working out with kids.

What is your workout regimen? Mine used to be pretty simple. Jogging 1-3 miles two or three times a week. But now with two kids it's not really feasible. Even if i did go buy a jogging stroller, it's just too cold. And i cant see a jogging stroller working real well in the snow anyways! LOL! I'd go when DH gets home from work, but it's dark by then and i have too much to do at night with dinner and baths and such anyways. I refuse to take the kids to our sitter right now because everyone has the damn bacon flu or strep or a cold and i really dont want to expose the baby.

SOOOO...i just started yoga today, but i really miss my cardio. How do ya'll get in a good work out with kids?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 11:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• When my daughter was little I joined the YMCA and used their daycare facilities, it was great, and once she got over the whole "MOMMY LEFT" screaming, she had a BLAST
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I bought an elliptical machine off craigslist. It was half the price of the store so maybe thats an option for you.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Oh yeah...the gyms all have daycares too. Thats a great idea.
    MamaChamp

• I have a 3 year old, an 18 month old, and will have my third baby in about 6 weeks. After I heal from this last delivery, I'll be renewing my gym membership that's been on hold for a while. They have child care for the 2 babies and for ages 3 and up they offer their own fitness/tumbling class.

If I relied on my husband to watch the kids while I worked out (like in the mornings before he leaves for work or after he gets back home) I know that I would never really stick with it. With the gym, I can go mid-morning which is the best time for me to feel motivated to work out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I have alot of great workouts on dvd. You can do them in the morning when the kids are still asleep or while they're napping whenever. If either of your kids are old enough let them workout with you. My 4 and 7 year olds love to do Turbo Jam with me. They obviously don't do all the moves right, but they just love the activity and the music. It also sets a great example for them, it shows them that exercise can be fun :)
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 12:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I do my treadmill while dd is in school and I am off work..which equals to about 3 days a week.I get a good workout that way.Before dh used to watch her for about an hour or so a day so I could workout.I have been doing this for the past year.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I suppose i should have mentioned...i live in a really rural area. The closest gym is an hour away. SO not worth the time and fuel! Wouldn't want to put the kiddos in the daycare there (or ANYwhere) right now anyways.

I need to look on craigslist and see if i can find a decent priced treadmill or something. I think that would work out great. Except i'd have to listen to DH gripe about it being in the living room....
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 3:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I get my son to work out with me! He is my little free weight and then we go to the park for cardio (the park near our apartment has a walking/jogging path with workout stations!) and between laps we stop at the park for him to play a little!

My suggestion would be to try to get your LOs to work out with you by making it fun! Get them to dance with you or have them be your "instructor" by playing a fast paced game of simon says.
    mlmartinez

Answer by mlmartinez at 5:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I am a coach with Beachbody, I am 22 weeks pregnant and still work out and do yoga to keep the weight gain low and to stay healthy for me and my baby. They also have dvds for the kids to do so its fun and they can stay healthy as well. I also drink on of their shakes called Shakeology it is wonderful and so so so healthy... So if i can do it anyone can lol.

My sites are

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/1healthymama
    http://myshakeology.com//1healthymama

Just so you all can take a peek.

I hope everyone has a great day
    Bershelle Jones
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 12:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009