Is it possible he is ok and well come home still?

I have a cat who has been fixed since he was a baby and he is 8 almost 9 years old now. He went outside like normal 4 days ago and has not came back. He always comes in at night. I can't stop crying I'm so scared for him. I don't think he would just leave like that. This cat has been through so much with my family including traveling looking for work while we lived in a car even and ever even tried to run away. He has been living in this home for almost 2 years now. He's like my own child! Is it even possible he can still come home? If not please be honest. My son's crying for him too and keeps saying he's like a brother to me mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Are you also leaving food outside - especially smelly wet fishy canned food. You have to be careful not to attract unwanted animals with it, but you want to encourage him to come back if he is near by. Has your weather been unusually warm, as some parts of country? If he is not uncomfortable, he may not be in a hurry to be indoors. It is wonderful that he is fixed and chipped. Go in person to shelters and look. Do not take their word for it over the phone.
    Do not give up hope, but do not promise your son that the cat will return. You hear stories all the time about cats showing up after long periods of time.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 4:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• He could still come home. Cats know where they live if they are used to going outside.

Have you done everything to try to find him? Did you put up signs, check the animal shelter, check the humane society, check whatever website they have in your area for lost animals? Did he have a microchip? Did you check craigslist?

You have to know if you let your cat out there is a chance something can happen. We let our cats out because they love it so much. We are lucky they stay right by the house. We made the decision that if something happened we would try not to be too upset because we knew the risk and took it for them.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• OP here Yes I have done everything you said and talked to all the neighbors around here as well. He has a chip and also has tags. He has never before gone further then two houses over and never even across the street ( he's afraid of the road always has been unless he is in a car ). He has never even been gone over night he likes to come sleep on my feet at night. Thanks for your advice anyway.
    Anonymous

• it is posible he could still come home, but please remember that he may not. Something could have happened to him or someone may have taken him thinking he was a stray. As the other reply said, you can put up signs, place ads....check the local animal shelter.
    Good luck and I hope you find him.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 12:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I think it's improbable, but not impossible that he will come home. I agree that having an outdoor cat is a calculated risk. Every time the cat goes outside it could be hit by a car, get killedhurt by an animal, get stuck somewhere it can't get out...any number of things. The only way to totally avoid it is to have an indoor cat, which many ppl aren't willing to do. Unfortunately, you took the gamble and it seems like it didn't pay off. I'm sorry. :(
    Anonymous

• Sis, (I know who wrote this!) Please remember that he is a tough, smart, outdoor kitty and there is still hope. Remember what I told you on the phone last night, he may be locked up in somebody's house by their kid, and he will be found by the parents and shoved outside, or he may get out on his own. Don't give up hope, and tell that nephew of mine to try to stop crying and Auntie loves him. Even if the unthinkable has happened, and don't assume it has yet, remember he had a good life and he was loved. and he is waiting at the rainbow bridge.
    Anonymous