Getting our new puppy tomorrow and now I have doubts about it.

We are getting our new puppy tomorrow and we are so excited about it. We have been wating for him now for over 3 weeks and been counting down every day.
But now I have doubts and worries about the new puppy. We have a 2 year old toddler and I did a lot of online research about the breed and we decided that he would be right for us. But a few days ago I joined a message board for his breed, he's a shiba inu and there were so many posts about dog aggression and things like that, that I am now worried that our puppy turns out like that. I talked to dh about it but he thinks is all about how you raise him and wants the puppy really bad. I do really want him too but I can't help but worry. Have you been worried before getting your dog? Is it really only about how good you raise him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pets

• because you are getting him a a puppy, he should be fine..it really is all about how ya raise them. dogs and kids can grow to become best friends! as long as you socialize them well together!!

ive got a golden retriever which says that they are great family dogs and people dogs, love everybody and everything...which is one reason why i wanted a golden ret, because at the time when i got him, my daughter was 3...and yes he is a great dog to my family, and absolutely awesome with my daughter, however he does not do well towards strangers!! i'll take him for a walk, and people will come up to pet him and he starts growling and barking at them, soooooooo not what they were expecting, because theyre not known for that. and i think alot of it has to do with the fact that i got him when he was 5 months, and had already developed his characteristics from his first few months where he was...(which wasnt a very good place)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I will admit Shiba inus are my least favorite breed they can be very stubborn and pretty nasty but they are not all like that. I mean look at labs and goldens they are supposed to be the best family dog and i known more aggressive labs and goldens then i have pit blls or any of they other so called aggressive breed. If you take the time socialize this puppy around all sort of people(adults and kids) as well as dogs. Take the dog out in public as much as possible anway that dogs are allowed he needs to go. I would also have the dog neutered becuase that can help with certain issues. you will have a very well adapted good all around dog. I would also recommend getting into a training class because the more a dog knows the better behaved they will be. Even the most socialized dog with come across someone whether it is dog or human that they do not like just llike us. I have worked with and around dogs since i was a teen
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• so i have never been worried about the dog i chose to adopt but the advantage i have is that i can read dogs and know dog behavior. I am sure this puppy will be just fine.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I use to be afraid of pits because of myths and now i know it is whore S***! I decided to get a pit even though they have a bad rep from the media and people who believe everything that comes out of their mouths. I love my pit and she is the best dog ever. Like on faces of death the breed was "conditioned by man" to fight other dogs. It is how you raise the dog, not how other people say they are going to turn out. it's just like saying hey i'm going to get a small breed because they are nice and then beating up on it and asking why is it so agressive? stupid!!! It is all in how you raise the pup and treat it. Treat it like an outcast it WILL act like an outcast. Treat it like family and it will treat you like family! :) I am no expert, but if you need more info. I can try to help
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• alexis06, do not add to the falseness of getting a puppy is better. Puppies are cute, they are fun and they are a LOT OF WORK. Older dogs you adopt from a shelter or rescue are screened, trained and the people in both places make sure you are getting a dog that suits your needs. Older dogs are often best for people who don't have a lot of time to spend training a puppy.

OP, if you take the time to train the puppy properly, spend lots of time with it and socialize it (meeting people and puppies and exposing it to things) properly you will have a well behaved dog. If you dump the dog in the backyard because its too much work you will have a badly behave dog that has issues upon issues. Your husband is right. It is not the breed its how you train the dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Be sure your husband carries his load of the work involved with a pup. If you have a 2 year old, you are a busy person and know that some things must be done on schedule. with a puppy that schedule and consistency is even more crucial. Feedings and potty breaks and walks are all necessary components of owning a living animal and the more consistent you are from the start, the easier it will work. Pups chew, so toys must be picked up. Shibas are very catlike, and a smart breed. They will try all kinds of behaviors and see how you react. Be excited about the new pup, but ask for advice and help as you need it. The breed clubs are a great source of information. If pup is coming from a reputable breeder, they should be willing to help you as necessary. Use your vet staff. Ask questions. Socialization isimportant but be sure pup is properly vaccinated before being too exposed. Also get pup used to noises and movements
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 4:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Thanks for all the answers. I am still a bit nervous until we meet him and see how he is but I know we can offer him a great home with lots of love and i hope he will turn out fine. I think maybe I think mainly I am nervous because we never had a dog before, I always was more of a cat person..but I am very excited.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2009