39 weeks and 3cm dialated, 3rd pregnancy

I was wondering since this is my 3rd pregnancy (07,08,this being 09) does it progress faster ? im due the 17th and have a scheduled inducement on friday the 20th.. 2 weeks ago i was at 1cm and 50 effaced..I fell this past saturday, went to the ER to make sure all was well, i got checked there and iwas still a 1...i had my appt yesterday and was told 3.5cm ...thanks for the responses..greatly appreciated..

priscilla2boys

Asked by priscilla2boys at 12:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is the reason for getting induced so early?

i think on average you do progress faster with each child but not necessarily. gl!
    Anonymous

• Every pregnancy is different. They are unpredictable. There is no telling. Just try and relax and enjoy the ride :) Your baby will be here soon enough! Congrats!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't see a need to get induced.... sounds like everything is going how it should be. Only time you should even consider induction if there is an emergancy of some kind.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• If she is 39 weeks the 20th is not early. She did not ask for your opinion on the matter. Just answer the question -.-
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• well getting induced according to my dr said its better, there wouldn't be any reason to go past that date, because there are certain risks like having still-born and all that..like he said my due date is just an estimate, nothing accurate. And i was induced with my other two, NO EMERGENCY or nothin, its just whats best for the baby. There has been lots of complications because of the fact when you do go past your e.d.d. so i was just wondering. thanks for the replies ladies..
    priscilla2boys

Answer by priscilla2boys at 12:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Well, I know that you can be dialated for awhile before labor actually kicks in. I know in my 3rd pregnancy, I thought for sure I was going to go quickly and earlier, but I was induced after being 3 days late (because I have big babies) and she was born the next day. Personally I will never get induced again unless its absolutely neccessary. I still regret it :( Although we all turned out fine and she weighed 9lbs 12oz.. You may just get lucky tho and have the baby before that so good luck :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 12:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You really buy that without doing your own research? An Estimated due date is not an expiration date, its just the middle of normal human gestation. Normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks, it is not in your babies best interest to induce early for no medical reason, there are many many risks involved in inductions. Did your doctor explain those to you?

Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The more babies a woman has, often the more sensitive to her hormones she becomes: she might dilate sooner, have early contractions, etc. But can still carry to her due date & beyond safely-normally.

You know that elective induction ADDS *unnecessary* risks to you and your baby, right?

The things you listed are not common or normal-- not likely to happen in a normal pregnancy. (= possible/unlikely risks)
    You add REAL risks when you choose to induce, though.

Why add risks when you don't need to?
    Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised at how amazing and wonderful and fun a spontaneous labor can be~ SOOOO wonderful!!! :-)
    (and baby will thank you!)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• "because there are certain risks like having still-born and all that..like he said my due date is just an estimate, nothing accurate."

i would pay attention to what he said in that 2nd half about the due date being an estimate and think that maybe your baby is due a few days later, and completely ignore the first part because that is ridiculous to say about a woman who is less than 41 weeks pregnant. i'm disgusted that he said that to you. so sad! :(
    Anonymous

• just because you had 2 babies without issue doesn't mean that there aren't added risks by the way. the risks are not 100% or even 50%. but even if it increases your chances of problems by 5%, do you want to risk it? it's up to you.
    Anonymous