why is she still acting in heat after fixing her?

I had my 5 yr old female cat fixed in April at one of those low income clinics.Because every time she was in heat from smelling the soles of our shoes from the strays ouyside she was going around my house spraying urine.so 6 months after she gets fixed and we move she is still doing this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Yes female cats do spray...

Take her back to the vet. Each ovary is in a sac. The sac is often filled with fat -- more so in older or overweight animals. Sometimes the ovarian tissue is diffuse, sometimes it is very small or not well formed at the time of the spay. It may also be ectopic, meaning it isn't where it should be in the body (a congenital problem). In these abnormal situations, when the veterinarian clamps the tissue to ligate the blood vessels, very small bits of ovarian tissue may remain in the body after the surgery. This tissue can then grow and respond to chemical signals from the brain to produce the hormones that cause the heat cycle (estrus).

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Female cats don't spray. They "M E O W" like crazy it is very annoying...

Male cats spray to mark their territory.

She is probably trying to adjust to her newness of her body. It will soon pass.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Can spray I should say...not all "do"
    mamakirs

• Very well explained. I will second that some female cats will spray, even after they have been spayed. And some wonderful male cats will not mark their territory but do not count on it. Neuter them young to do your best to prevent it.
    If there was tissue left behind during the spay she will not get pregnant, but may exhibit the behaviors of being in season. I would bring it to the vets attention. Decide if the behaviors are so troublesome you desire a second surgery. I doubt the vet will cover additional costs.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 4:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I didn't think female cats sprayed until I found myself with walls covered in urine. Take her back to the vet. Mamakirs explained it better than I can.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I GOTTEN A FEMALE DOG FOR HIM 2 YEARS AGO AND WE GOTEN HER FIXED LAST YEAR AND SHE DOES THE SAME THANG BUT SHE HAS A STUFF MONKY SHE HUMPS ON .. IM TALKING ABOUT MY HUSBAND DOG SHE ONLY 2 POUNDS , SHES HALF POODLE AND HALF CHIWAWA ! HOW EVER U SPELL IT .
    Anonymous