how do you know oif your child has aspergers?

Ds does things like can't stand water on his head (showers are like torture for him, I only just started to be able to wash his hair without blood curtling screams) he constantly talks (my neighbor refers to him as the house speaker because of just how much he talks) I don't know. I hate to jump to something being wring with him, but I'm just a little curious. I've heard its normal but I've also been told to have him tested... What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What you are describing could be indicate a problem, or it could be chalked up to typical behavior. If you have concerns I would talk to his pediatrician and have him evaluated.

Answer by missanc at 12:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Doesn't sound particularly unusual to me. Lots of kids do the things you describe. One of my nephews was notorious for talking endlessly when he was in the car with us and didn't even really care if we were listening! his conversation would wander through whatever topic caught his attention at that moment. Kids with Asperger's tend to be obsessed with single topics when they talk and are impossible to redirect. It never hurts to talk to your doctor if you're concerned. Autism spectrum disorders are medical conditions that have to be diagnosed by a doctor.
    Anonymous

• wow..... how would that make you seriously think that your kid had issues? i would venture to say that there are a whole lotta kids who hate getting their hair washed (mine included) and all the little boys iknow talk your ear off....... do u actually spend time with other children to see what is 'normal' vs. 'not normal'?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my friends sister hated getting her hair washed and she isnt asbergers.(that doesnt really mean anything ) .. i would look up symptoms of the syndrome for your child age. if that causes more concern for you, ask your kids doc to refer you to a good neologist to have an eval. if he is --- getting him help younger would greatly benifit him.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You know because you do evaluations and see several different specialists.

There is a difference between a kid who hates to have their hair washed and one who freaks about water being sprinkled on his head. SPD is a real thing.

Talking an ear off is one thing, a toddler/preschooler speaking like an adult is something else....and not typical.

Asperger kids are impulsive but don't realize they have impulsive behavior. (PDD-NOS kids can be redirected and will realize they gave in to an impulse and apologize) Autistic kids tend to be obsessed with one thing to varying degrees. My son, for instance, is a science FREAK but all areas of science...not just one.

Asperger kids have more of the typical autistic behaviors than PDD-NOS kids do.

Now..as for SPD, it can stand alone, but is often in conjunction WITH an ASD.

If those are your only two concerns...I wouldn't worry. If there is more, have him evaluate
    Anonymous

• I am so glad this question has been asked. My son is on the middle of being evaluated for ADHD but I really feel like PDD-NOS makes more sense but no matter how much I read I still feel under educated. I wuold love to talk to you anon 2:22. It sounds like you haev experiences you could share and help me to decide what to do next with my own DS
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009