prenatal vitamins

as u know i jut found put i'm Pregnant i don't go to the doctor yet i think i'm 4 weeks along i don't take prenatal vitamins yet i just wondering if i start next week well still be helpful i just sacred it wont work im sorry you guys this my first time being a mom

Just-tina03

Asked by Just-tina03 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Actually you should start 3 months before you become pregnant.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Start taking them right away!!! Even if it hasnt been confirmed by the doctor yet, call them so they can write a prescription for prenatal vitamins...you take them all throughout your pregnancy and after if you BF.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Monday i found out i thought u can by those over the counter
    Just-tina03

Answer by Just-tina03 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Go to walmart and get their brand of prenatals. They were the best bargain I found around here anyway, and approved by my OB.

No, you don't need a prescription.

As for Gailll's moronic statement...If you're trying to become pregnant, yes it is recommended you start taking them before you are pregnant. However, not everyone has the luxury that she apparently has and can do that since there are many of us who have had surprise pregnancies.
    Anonymous

• Yes, start taking them now and for the rest of your pregnancy - they're good for both you and the baby.

Yes, you can buy prenatal vitamins over-the-counter, but sometimes insurance will pick up the cost if you have a prescription from your OB, so it doesn't hurt to ask for the 'script.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yes you can start taking prenatal vitamins. You don't need and Rx for them, you can buy them in the vitamin isle at walmart (or most any store).
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I only took prenatals for a few weeks, because I threw them up. Per my doctor and a few other doctors, the prenatals are for the MOTHER and have no affect on the baby. You can get them over the counter but they are pretty expensive.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i couldnt take them either they would make me throw everything i ate prior to that up. so my dr told me to take flintstones. but if your stomach can handle them start asap. i eventually got tired of the flintstones. they were too gritty. but they recommend you take them...
    a.whaley38401

Answer by a.whaley38401 at 2:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My prenatals used to make me sick so I just started taking them right before I went to bed and didn't have another problem. Also, my are prescription but are only $10 for a three month supply from Walmart. Just start taking something now and call your doctor and see if he recommends anything special for your situation. Some women need more iron or other things. Congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Um... first you need to get to the OB since you are NOT 4 weeks. at $ weeks you would have not even missed your period yet!

As for vitamins. at wal-Mart there brand has you take 2 tablets once a day and I always had to break them up into one every 12 hours instead of one every 24.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2009