My 8 y.o. can barely read!

I need some help gals! I've read all the previous questions like this that I could find, but I'm still stuck.
My 8 y.o. is in 2nd grade, his teacher is great, but he is not good at reading. All of his grades are suffering because he can't read test questions. (The teacher does read them aloud to the class, but he usually gets behind because he has to sound out each answer to find the one he knows is right. He won't ask her to repeat them once he gets behind either.)
I can't afford Sylvan (and it's an hour & half away) and I have yet to find a decent tutor that doesn't charge a lot.
Mostly he gets bored & it isn't "clicking" yet.
Any ideas for some fun ways to learn reading (games, etc.)?
He needs help with sight words & reading. (He can sound out words well & eventually get the right word, but he has to sound out every word, so he doesn't get much out of stories & such)
Thanks so much!
~Heather

Kivara

Asked by Kivara at 1:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need to start with the school admin. Go over the teacher's head and get him some help. While i'm sure his teacher cares, she can't help unless she is properly equipped...also get your son evaluated for a learning disability or even ADD. You can go thru the school to get ALL of this done...and they can even put him in classes to help him thru this. You are your child's ONLY advocate in public school. Press their buttons until you get answers.

Anonymous

• I'm anon :18...work with him at home as much as possible too. But make it fun and rewarding for him.

Anonymous

• Have you had his eyes checked?
    Read to him every day, at bedtime if your day is really busy.
    Have him read to you or his sibling. It would benefit him more to read to you so you could help him when he gets stuck.
    Ask your school if they have a tutor you can use after school for him. Some schools have an after school program where the kids can work with someone for a half an hour or so. If not, maybe they could recommend a reading buddy who would be willing to do it with him after school... maybe a responsible junior high student? English teachers would be a good resource.
    Games can be over stimulating and it involves sound and bright colors. Encourage him to read actual books.

Get him a library card and have him pick out books that he likes to read. Topics of his interest. He will get less bored. The practice will help.

Have you had him evaluated to see if he is dyslexic?
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Wow I am going through the same problem with my 8 yr. old...for now I have him reading books that he likes and understands and eventually they will get it. I thought about going backwards with him like go as far to first grade stuff but he is not dumb he just don't get it the only thing I can say is be patient and do your best and remind him everyday that he is a smart boy and when he does well in school he can get rewarded for it. Basically just have him read alot of books that he likes. I am sure it is just a phase our kids go through only God knows what we went through growing up...lol Your a good mommy.backpack

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Hello, My daughter Madison Is 7 years old. I just met with her teacher on the 10th.
    She said Madison is doing well but she needs to bring up her reading level. So she sugguested I put the sight words on index cards. So thats what I am trying. Maybe you should try the index cards also. Madison seems to like it. We go over them two times a day so far. We go over them in the morning will running around & after homework.

Good luck !!

Jeanny
    TorresFamily

Answer by TorresFamily at 1:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Its normal for a child to not read until they are 12. If they are homeschooled then its not a problem. You can wait until they are 12 and see if they learn on their own. Its best if they do. If not then worry. All my kids did by age 12, even my son with an 80 IQ that the developmental doctor said would never read.

I don't suppose you are willing to homeschool and wait until he is 12. If so read things written by John Holt.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You can try the labels on everything, make cards and tape them to eveything,e.i. stove, door, sink, etc. Also read to him!!!! Another thing is trade off reading, you pick a book read a page and then he reads a page. Go retro, find an old fashion "Dick and Jane" book, they are constant repetition and he can learn site reading from them. All these activities teach reading is fun.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 1:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Find out from his teacher also what books she would reccomend him working with to help him. He may need to go back to books from first grade just to get those sight words down. Just read one (very simple) book over and over for a week... or until he has it down well. Then move on to another book. You can ask the librarian at your local library what books she's reccomend too, they are SO much help. We love our librarian cause she can reccomend things we'd never even think of.
    Good luck... it will click with him.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Reading doesn't usually "click" with boys until the age of 9 - 10 years old. I wouldn't panic yet. Keep reading at home with him. Let him read simpler stories to you and gently correct him when he's wrong. The more he reads, the better he'll read.

I got my boys computer games that involved reading. They had to read the instructions to move on in the game. ALL 4 of my sons began reading well between 2nd and 3rd grades.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Talk to the school. My son is 7 and in the 2nd grade. He is reading very well actually at a 28 reading level which is where they are supposed to be at the end of 2nd grade. His school has very high academic standards and he is only 7 (was 6 the first 5 weeks of 2nd grade) they give him help. I am sure if you communicate with the teacher and ask for him to be tested they can help him with in school tutoring or other services. If the teacher is of no use go over their heads. You may have to fight to get him help but that is what us moms do sometimes.
    Anonymous