How many of you find this wrong?

http://www.hrcbackstory.org/2009/10/new-gender-identity-discrimination-curriculum-for-schools/

Asked by older at 1:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • This question was very much misunderstood, maybe if my phrasing had been more accurate you would have all gotten the point. The curiculum suggested was due to the many gays and transgender kids in school, trying to ascertain their identity and creating a disrupting scene in the process. There is nothing wrong in educating peers why this happens, to put themselves in their shoes if only for a moment to prevent the dehumanization process.
    Yes, this boy broke the dress code, the others in the story did too, again finding identity in it all, they weren't trying to make change, they were only being themselves, and got called out, which is something they can't understand.
    I am not condoning breaking rules and regulations, I understand the importance of them all. What I do condone is understanding for these youth, learning why they act this way, instead of ridiculing them without giving any thought as to the why.

Answer by older at 8:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• noone should be able to wear a wig to school unless they have gone through chemo, and he shouldn't wear high heels to school..he can be gay and wear all kind of "feminine" stuff but shouldn't dress like a girl
    Anonymous

• I don't. I think the schools have dress codes and people should follow them, gay, straight, bi or whatever. Why does this boy need to dress like a girl? I'm not saying he should wear combat boots and fatigues, but why the need to dress feminine because he is gay? Can't he be gay in jeans and a tshirt? Even a pink one!
    Anonymous

• Anon, they are refering to transgender students. That is how they are inside and want to manifest it outside.

Answer by older at 1:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• At North Cobb High School in the Atlanta area, Jonathan Escobar, 16, was forced to withdraw after only three days when school administrators told him that his feminine attire violated the school’s dress code.

He wasn't forced to withdraw. He was told he HAD to obey the dress code. The Rules. Maybe he should Lobby to change the dress code with the school board, but don't say he was FORCED to withdraw. I read it as, since he refused to follow school rules~he left. Forced? No. Wouldn't follow rules set in place? Yes.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Groups of kids gathered around him in the cafeteria, and the school's assistant principal even blamed a fight on Escobar's flamboyant attire.

On his third day at the school, during which Escobar was wearing a pink wig, he was approached by a school official and told that his choice was to either stop dressing in such a feminine manner or consider home-schooling.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• So if a girl is deep down a slut, should she be able to violate the schools dress code and dress in hot pants and tube tops?
    Anonymous

• why did he get to wear a pink wig? if a female wore a pink wig to school where i'm from they'd be in trouble too it's not because he is gay it's because he didn't follow the rules
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• What does pink wigs have to do with being transgender? Why the need for the pink wig? I agree with josiesmommy, in my school, NOBODY could have unnatural colored hair, like pink. Most employers would forbid this too, so this boy should get used to it.
    Anonymous

• Laides, you need to click on the FORCE TO WITHDRAW, you will see the curiculum being set up to prevent such disruption.

Answer by older at 1:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2009