kitten nurseing on a balnket??

oks o we got our kittens in september, we got two. jack the black male cat was a biig boy. and autumn the girl cat was the runt. soo tiny you could hold her in your hand.
now there both big and healthy. autumns stilll smaller. but i have also found that there is a certain blanket that autumn still "nurses" on. yes its a blanket. and she kneeds it with her paws and suckles. like its her paci!
i wash it and stilll she nurses! its werid?
any advice> or should i just give it up and let her use it as her own personal cat paci?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 1:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I have also been told it is because she still wants the nursing feeling, was not totally weaned when she left mom. Cats like wool and will nurse on blankets and sweaters. Almost all cats adore microfiber or tight fleece fabrics. You can make a small blanket just for her and maybe she will leave yours alone, but the behavior could last a lifetime.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 4:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Aaww, that's cute. Definitely give it to her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• It just means she wasn't properly weaned. She might get out of the habit. We had a cat that sucked on his tail, even when he was 2 or 3 years old. It's probably just comforting for her. Does she eat ok?
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• yeah no she eats fine, drinks fine, she just loves this blanket!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The behavior you are talking about is called "wool sucking". It comes from a kitten that has been weaned too soon. Be careful so your kitty doesn't ingest something that can harm them. The blanket it is chewing on or holding onto must have a lanolin smell or texture to it. It comforts them. As long as they don't chew plastic or something harmful, no harm done. One of my cats does that too.If its o.k. with you your kitty has that blanket, then it will provide security and comfort.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't think it is from being weaned to soon because both of my cats were born in April and we just took over caring for them in September, so they were with their mom for 5 months. Anyway one of my cats likes to suck on my hair and also has a stuffed animal she does it to. I think it is comforting to them. I was always raised with cats and i have had lots of them suck on other objects besides their mom even when the mother was still in the home. I wouldn't be too worried about it. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Its a way to comfort themselves, I have 4 kittens left from our litter born back in june and even though mom is around and I promise they weaned properly they will sometimes kneed on mom or a pillow. I have had cats in the past who have done this as they fell asleep. just let her do it as long as she isnt eating it then she is fine, it just keeps her calm.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Just because they were "with" their mother for 5 months doesnt mean they werent weaned too early. Sometimes the mother will just stop nursing and refuse to feed them even if they're right there.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That's cute. :) Just let her do it. I had a kitten a few years back that couldn't sleep without this big stuffed bunny (seriously twice her size, she never got bigger than five pounds) and my current cats both have security blankets.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Totally normal be glad it is a blacket that they like to use. My cat like the crook of my arm. I sometime ltes her cause I can tell how much her enjoys it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2009