Help, my 6 week old has a cold

I think my 6 week old has a cold she has been coughing and it sounds likt ehere is like fluid in the back of her throat. What can I do?

xxSummaxx13

Asked by xxSummaxx13 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she gets stuff in her nose you can suck it out with a bulb syringe. You can use a cool mist humidifier in the room. No Vicks.

If she is breastfed she shouldn't get very sick.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Also, *if* she is breastfed some breastmilk dropped in the nose will clear the congestion.

If not...the other advice Gailll gave you about the humidifier and bulb syringe applies. You cannot give any decongestant meds at this age.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• oh sorry no she is bottlefed
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• At that age, if you're worried, call the doctor.
    Anonymous

• my 7wk old daughter just got over hers. nothing much you can do. my doc gave me saline nose drops told me 2 suck it out with the bulb syringe and humidifier wit no vicks 2. took her 2wks 2 get over hers and yes she was bottle fed 2. does ur baby make a noise that sound like a pig snorting, mine did . hope your baby gets better real soon!
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• ya she sounds like a little piggy, i dunno what to do
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• one more thing to add to all the good advice. . . try to elevate the head of the bed slightly.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

"If she is breastfed she shouldn't get very sick. "

This statement is bull!!! I have a formula feed baby who has hardly ever been sick a day in her life and a breast feed baby who is sick all the time!!! I haye it when people say this crap/ Yes breast feeding is best and all but come on!

I agree puuting the humidifier inthe room and stuff but take her to a doctor!
    GothGirly

Answer by GothGirly at 4:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2009