How do I keep my dog from eating the Christmas tree?

Last year he was still technically a puppy, (born in March) and he totally trashed the artificial Christmas tree. I want to make sure he doesn't do it again this year. We are buying a new artificial tree and I don't want it ruined. A new artificial tree each year could get expensive in a hurry.
HELP

pagan_mama

Asked by pagan_mama at 2:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Put the tree in a playpen, you can decorate the playpen so it is not so out there. We have had to do this with toddlers and puppies, I am sure we will have to do it again this year. If you can find a old fasioned wooden one the look really cute, also you then have a place to put the early presents.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 12:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• There is a spray you can get at the pet store called "No"...you spray it every couple of days (on the tree) and your dog won't go anywhere near it. The fragrance can't be smelled by humans but dogs hate it. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Let me clarify that, he pulled the "branches" out of the trunk, he chewed through the "pre-lighted" cords in several places, putting out all the lights, thankfully not electrocuting himself in the process, and knocked all the ornaments off the lower branches. I don't have the house space to put a fence up around it....
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Don't leave the pup alone. Keep a leash on him in the house, make him stay with you at all times. Or buy a small table top tree.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• put a gate around the tree, when your having company over (or on Christmas) just take it down and put the dog in another room. i do that with a curious 3yr old and a pitbull. works for me
    IluvAsialots4

Answer by IluvAsialots4 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• sound a little odd but in past years we put a super gate (like a playpen without a floor) around the tree, we might be doing it again this year with 2 puppies in the house
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 6:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Ok i know people might think this is weird but if you take some tinfoil put it around the bottom of the tree and have the shiney part up they will actually deter from being near the tree
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I've got a puppy, two cats, and a toddler to keep away from the tree this year. I'm expecting the toddler to be the most well behaved, lol. I'm going with the gate as well. My puppy's a little too mouthy for the tin foil (he's already stolen some from me). I keep a water bottle nearby for the cats but the puppy hates water just as much so it'll probably work on him too.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• op & mommy2be...just be careful with the tin foil, if ingested, it can kill a dog. My dog isn't dead, but i learned what all kinds of things are harmful to a dog that i would have never guessed, the hard and expensive way. my little pup used to try to eat everything.

op...there is a spray at the pet store you can buy that's called "bitter apple". it's harmless, but tastes awful as can be. it doesn't hurt to spray it on furniature or anything. It doesn't hurt even if you taste some (it's bad tasting!!!). It works like nothing else:) You may have to spray the tree daily for a while to keep the taste strong, but after a while your dog while probably avoid the tree all together:)
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I only suggested it because it has worked with my animals and i never had issues with it
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2009