Has anyone had success with "The Love Dare"/Fireproof Movie?

My DH and I have been separated for a year, and we are talking about reconciling, but don't know where to begin. We are both hesitant to do marriage counseling because we had such a bad experience when we tried it a year ago. I have heard a lot of good talk about "Fireproof" and the "Love Dare" and was wondering, for those of you who have seen the movie and/or tried the Love Dare ... did it strengthen and/or help to repair your relationship? Should we watch the movie together first, then discuss? Any helpful suggestions are welcome, even if its not about Fireproof or the Love Dare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I watched it and did buy the book (first chapter I think was patience and I'm severely lacking in that lol).
    I'd recommend what the first response said, watch it and see how it wasn't easy for that guy. His wife fought him every step of the way. With you and hubby wanting to work it out, you're already a step ahead of him. I'd definetely get the book or the movie/both and work on the things in there. I think my marriage is stronger because of watching that movie. I try to listen, I try to see things from his side, I walk away instead of saying something I won't mean in 10 seconds, I try to do nice things out of the blue and call him up sometimes and say something like "I know you're busy but I needed to hear your voice and tell you how much I love you".
    I think communication and trust is the key with or without the book. Walmart carries both the movie and the book tho.
    I'm wishing you so much luck :)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Loved this movie. Hubby and I bought a case of the books and DVD's. It is what we gave as wedding and anniversary gifts to everyong we loved. I would watch the movie apart and then together..good luck honey I really hope it works out in the best way for you both.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I should also say that hubby and I already had a beautiful relationship before watching it but we both took A LOT away from it still. You can honestly apply the entire msg into your relationships with EVERYONE...kids, parents, friends, family and etc.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I agree with the previous post. My hubby and I had a strong relationship before, but we both took something good from that movie. I recommend it to every married couple - happy or on the rocks.

Ask yourself this: is there any reason not to try it?

GL!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 2:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Not me, and the book didn't help either. It's a great book and movie, I love it and I know it can help if two people are in it together working on their relationship and being serious.
    Anonymous

• It is a good movie, but it is mainly about doing the little things.. Me and my husband watched it. if you both arent committed to doing the little things then it wont matter.. a lot of is has to do with religion. we are not religous, but i think a great message is you cannot just do nothing and expect things to get better
    Anonymous

• OP here - Wow! I am so thankful to be a part of this wonderful community on CafeMom.

Thank you all so much for your generous responses and the well wishes.
    Anonymous