Back is Best?? Is it really??

I have a 5 month old and he sleeps with me at night and usually in his swing during naps I'm trying to get him to sleep in his play pen and crib. He won't stay asleep if I try to put him to sleep on his back but if he's on his stomach he goes right to sleep. What does everyone think??
Oh and one more thing what does everyone thing about a baby in the bed if husband works over nights should I move him to his crib or is ok?

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they say to put them on their backs to prevent SIDS... my son sleep with me... I know everyone feels different about this but my son won't sleep unless I'm next to him... but my fiance and I don't really ever sleep in the same bed ... just make sure your a light sleeper and there isn't a big blanket or pillow by your baby
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my middle dd was a tummy sleeper. roll her onto her back and she'd scream bloody murder - my gramma finally flipped her over when she was 6weeks and it was HEAVEN. she slept! and still does sleep on her tummy.

the other two hated the tummy. oldest was the back, and youngest was her side.

it does also save from the spit up that runs down the chin and under the neck into the hair. EEW.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Baby needs to be on his back-no matter what! You can use one of those wedges to lay him on his side occasionaly, but yes always on his back. As far as him in the bed with you, it's what ever you think is best. For me, I put my 1st born into his crib at about 3 months. He was a very easy baby though. For #2, she went to the crib at 6 months-and we arestill fighting as to where she should go to sleep (lol!) She is now 2 1/2.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My daughter is 13 mos and mostly sleeps curled up on her knees and chest, sometimes she sleeps on back but always ends up like that.
    For a 5 month old I'd keep turning him back on his back and be consistent, that's still a little too young to be on stomach.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• you can have him on his stomach if your going to watch him & check on him often, but dont let him sleep on his stomach all night or something because they could turn there head and suffocate. my SO works overnight, so lots of the time i have my son sleep in bed with me. sometimes in his crib. it depends on what makes him happy that night.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Babies should not sleep in swings, seats, or even car seats. The younger they are the worse it is. They sell car beds for premies that are also good for young infants and if your baby had to be in a car seat a lot it would be a good investment. It's not just the risk of SIDs, their head can fall forward and its so heavy they can't breath, and their growing internal organs are smooshed.

Check your play pen or pack-n-play instructions. They probably say they aren't for sleeping babies or arn't for overnight sleeping.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my daughter wont sleep on her back. she sleeps on her stomach, in her crib. even if i put her on her back she rolls over to her tummy. shes 6 months.
    micahsmommy512

Answer by micahsmommy512 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I know it's hard to deal with a baby who won't sleep...but they do eventually get used to the back sleeping thing...you just have to be patient. One of the main reasons the back so sleep campaign worked so well at preventing SIDS, is because babies ARE less comfortable. They do not fall into as deep a sleep, and therefore, are better able to rouse themselves if they are in danger. I personally used a pad which two velcros sides so you could adjust them how you needed them to keep baby in the right position.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My 2 month old sleeps on his stomach and has since he was 6 weeks old. I have 4 children and all by my oldest has slept on their stomach from about 6 weeks on. When I put my son on his back he flails his arms around and cries. He will not go to sleep that way and if he falls asleep in my arms and I lay him on his back he wakes up instantly. He hates to be swaddled and has since we came home from the hospital. He's just like his older brother was. When I put him on his stomach to sleep he will fall asleep on his own and sleep 6 hours before waking up to nurse. He sleeps in his swing for naps. What a horrible mother I am!
    Anonymous

• As for the sleeping in bed, I just don't do it because I like my space and I don't want the chance of them always wanting to sleep with me. Tummy sleeping, with my first I tried putting her on her back but when I put her on her tummy she FINALLY would sleep, so I stuck with it, all other babies in my family have been tummy sleepers as well. As soon as #2 came home from the hospital he was sleeping on his tummy as well :) He is 4 months old now and can roll over - so I'm sure your baby at 5 months will be just fine on his tummy :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2009