How long to Breastfeed???

My son is 5 months old and 18lbs he's a big boy!! Do you think it looks bad when a bigger baby is being breastfed? Does he look to old to be nursing?? When is it socially accepable to nurse till??
I'm going to pump my milk and give me a bottle untill he's a year and able to drink regular milk. So it's not that he wont be getting breast milk, but when is he to big to be nursing it what I'm trying to ask.

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in my opinion, i would nurse for at least one year, i have a 7 week old baby, im putting her to the boob for now, when she is old enough for solids, i will pump for a bottle, and only put her to the boob every now and then, but once she is old enough for a sippy cup she will still get my BM but in a sippy, i will probly do this till she is at least one year old or maybe two, but i would never give her formula, why would i when i get milk for free, lol
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I have heard women breast feeding tell their kids desided to ween themselfs.. Like age 5.
    but I think age 1 is a good age. When your child can drink out of a sippy cup.
    But if you are pumping. You can do that tell you get tired of pumping.

Answer by louise2 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• who cares what others think!! you do what is right for your baby ifi ahd ababy that would lathc on i would nurse for 18 mts maybe 2 yrs. YOU SHOULDNT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTERS THINK. ALOT OF MOMS BF FOR 2 YRS. BF IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE ASHAMED OF
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i been pumping for 8mts now, cuz my bbay doesnt latch on. i wish he did pumping sucks!! and alot of woman dont do well with pumping
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• What? You are going to give a bottle because you think other people might think it looks bad?

Pumping is hard work and it is hard to keep your supply up. To get all of the benefits of breastfeeding your baby must be breast fed. Feeding at the breast gives all the oral and speech benefits and helps with prevention of ear infections.

All babies are supposed to be nursed until they are 2. There is nothing wrong with nursing an 18 pound baby. Your baby may be on the too large size for 5 months, I'm not looking at the charts so I'm not sure. He may be getting too much foremilk and not getting the rich hindmilk that tells him he is full. If you nurse one breast a feeding he should get that hindmilk and feel full and his weight gain should slow.

That's another reason to breast feed. The milk is different at the beginning and end of the feeding. In the bottle its all mixed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Only North America has this weird hangup about babies being 'too old' to breastfeed. Many other countries nurse their babies well into toddlerhood. Honestly, I would make this decision based on what you feel is best for your child- not what you think other people will think. Who cares what they think? Parenting is not about making the decisions you think those around you will like- it's about making the decisions you think are in the best interest of your child. No matter what you do, there is going to be SOMEONE who thinks you should do something different. You can't please everyone- so don't make that the basis for your parenting decisions!

I can say, however, that the WHO recommends nursing until two years and as far beyond as mom and baby agree, and the recommendation in Canada where I live is that babies be ONLY bf'd or on formula unitl 6 mos. So I think 5 mos is well within the socially defined norm.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• How silly to care what people "think." Your baby is only 5 months old. I think any where up to 3 years old is fine to breastfeed. Psychologists say it's healthy up to 5 years old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• If nursing is working for you and your son, I say keep at it as long as you can. Although you plan to bottle feed with breast milk, pumping is much less convenient and you lose the skin to skin contact that is so good for your son. I would think it is socially acceptable to BF until at least one year, I don't think you would be raising any eyeborws there anyway. I nursed my daughter until she was seven months when she started day care and then I tried pumping and mixing formula and breast milk but after a few weeks it just got too hard. Now she is one and I really regret not nursing her longer. You can't really get it back once you stop, so don't discontinue until you are sure you are ready and that it is the right thing for you and your son. Good luck. And congrats on nursing this long- it sounds like you have a strapping lad!!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I'm only going to breast feed until 6 months then put in a bottle and try to introduce solid foods when shes 8 months
    TripGirl

Answer by TripGirl at 3:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• What "looks OK" or is "socially acceptable" varies greatly. It depends on who you are asking. If you are looking for my personal opinion, I see kids up to ages 4 and 5 being nursed on a regular basis, and am used to seeing that, so to ME, that is socially acceptable. Do what YOU feel is best. I feel it's best to nurse until the child no longer wants to, so that is what I do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2009