Open adoption in Portland, OR?

I have an 11mo old baby, and was on birth control. Obviously it didnt work because my doc just told me I'm 2 months along. My husband and I don't know what to do. Im thinking about abortion.. but I want to explore all my options. Has anyone experienced an Open adoption? Can anyone help me find one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Adoption

• http://directory.adoption.com/domestic/Oregon.html

a list of a few adoption agency in portland.....

Open Adoption & Family Services - (503) 226-4870

5200 SW MacAdam Ave Ste 250, Portland, OR 97239

Make sure to do extensive research on any agency that you choose to use.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Wow. youve been through pregnancy and all the joys of childbirth and youre going to give up your second child. I just dont understand that at all. I have one child and would give anything to have another and you and your HUSBAND are giving yours away. Mind boggling.
    Anonymous

• Abortion is murder. Please choose a different route.
    HcMomma

Answer by HcMomma at 3:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I dont know if you are the last ANON who wrote about this but it's not easy. You already have an 11 month old so you know the kind of attachment you had when you were pregnant and when your baby was born. Now think of having the child and giving it to people you dont know very well. You have to be very strong because it will be the hardest decision you will ever make. My daughter is now 10 years old and I get to see her every year. I'm actually seeing her in 2 weeks. You also get picture updates and letters. But I was 15 years old when i had her I was still in highschool, I was too young to have a job, and my mom was a single parent. I would look on the internet for adoption agencies but make sure to do your research. Message me if you need any support or have any more questions.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i found out i was pregnant when my son was 4 months old. i knew there was NO way for me to afford another baby, i didnt have the time to take care of two babys while being a full time college student & etc., and it was just impossible for me to take care of another baby so soon. but i would NEVER give my child that i grew in my belly for 9 months away to someone, and how could i do that to my son? give his little brother or sister away. no way. i got an abortion. and im not ashamed of it. it was very early in the pregnancy, it wasnt a baby yet, it didnt have a soul yet, it wasnt even the size of my finger nail yet. i think in the first 3 months, your body is just preparing a place for a soul to go. but the soul is not that there yet. i think you should get an abortion ASAP and then have your baby when the time is right. to me if you do an open adoption, your telling that baby that you care about it enough to see it sometimes
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• but not all the time.
    PURPULbutterfly

• I hope you will not choose to have an abortion. It is a child from the moment of fertilization. Who are we to say when the soul is placed in the body? Why not err on the side of caution? If you do choose to place your baby for adoption, be wary of anyone putting pressure on you - run the other way! This is your decision. There are resources available to help you with the expenses if you choose to parent your child.

I disagree that open adoption says to the child that you only care sometimes. We have open adoptions with both our kids' birthfamilies. My daughter is old enough to understand, and she enjoys her birthmom, brother, grandparents and aunts. They are just more extended family who love her. Open adoption can be a very good thing. Do talk to some birthmothers who have or have had open adoptions to get their points of view. You have to hope the couple will keep their word.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• HcMomma... did she say anything at all about abortion? NO SHE DIDNT! She asked about ADOPTION! Learn to freaking read!!

Anon :07. Maybe she is doing what she feels is best for her 11 month old by giving up this child! You dont know their situation so dont judge her! Giving up a child is NOT at all selfish and she is most definitely thinking about what is in its best interest if she is going to commit to a 9 month pregnancy just to have it end in adoption!

OP... Good "oregon adoption agency" and see what you find:) And FYI - DO NOT POST IN THIS FORUM ABOUT ADOPTION. People will bash you like CRAZY!!
    Anonymous

• Adoption is a great answer there are so many people that would love to have a baby that can't. People that will love the baby and be there for him/her. I wish I knew a place that does it but you can look it up on-line there are lots of people wanting a baby to love. I would take your baby before you got an abortion, it is a tiny baby and killing the baby when the baby could have such a loving home just doesn't make sense. My brother was going to do adoption they were pretty young and there was a company that sent him pictures of family's that would love to have a baby and you get to meet them and they tell you all about themselves.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Boys & Girls Aid is another agency that provides really good open adoption services. I know of a number of families who have adopted through them, as well as a couple of birthmoms who have worked with them - one that chose adoption, and one that decided to parent. They won't push you in any direction, and will help you with an adoption or can refer you to resources if you decided to parent. Here's their contact info:

Boys & Girls Aid - 503-542-2392 or 877-932-2734
    018 SW Boundary Court, Portland, 97239

My friend contacted them through their website, and had some great email conversations with one of their counselors. Here's the website: http://boysandgirlsaid.org/programs/pregnant-start-here/.

Good luck with whatever you decide - I know it's not an easy decision.
    Anonymous