How would you respond if your SO said this to you?

He typed me a txt message just now answering my question as to why he is said.

"I am sad because I have to decide between a bigger house or dental work. Should I give it to myself or give to my family?"

I cant believe that he even has doubts. We need to get into a bigger house like yesterday. This one is old and is starting to fall apart. It is so cold in here even with the heat on. It never goes above 66 degrees in here. I cant believe that this would even be an issue. We have little ones, 8 months old twins and it is getting to be to cold in this house for us can you imagine what it feels like to a little baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• Uh, dental work is important too. Like, REALLY important. Do you want his teeth to rot out over a few more months in a house that has a few problems?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• text back: your family
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• better yet our family.
    bumblebeestingu

• Dental work is very important and can lead to bigger health issues in the future. He should get the dental work done. What good is a house if you haven't got your health?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• He may be sad because he cant provide both. Dental work is important too and he may be in pain. He probably knows that both of them are important and he needs to put his family first, but if he doesnt take care of himself then he cant provide. He may just feel overwhelmed with financial problems and feel like it is just all piling up. I would respond with support. Tell him you know this is overwhelming and hopefully you guys can catch a break soon. Tell him you know what he is sacrificing for the family but you guys are so grateful...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I think your being shelfish. I think dental health should be top priority. It's not like you are homeless. you have a house.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I agree with Ati, neglecting dental work can lead to serious illness. Perhaps a space heater, which aren't very expensive, would help in your house- you could move it to whatever room and the children are in. Perhaps you should downsize the house temporarily if the main problem is that it is in bad shape- downsize to a smaller house in better condition? Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 3:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• men can be so friggin hilarious sometimes. Makes you wanna just slap them!!! lol Tell him yall need to get a house and then once youre settled in the house then you guys can figure a way toget him to the dentist!
    HcMomma

Answer by HcMomma at 3:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I had $5200 worth of dental work done a few years ago. I'm guessing his is for the same reason as mine... I don't want my teeth falling out of my head, don't want bad stinky breath, and don't want the pain from it, nor do I want my husband or children to be embarrassed when I'm missing a lot of teeth because it's too late to repair them, pulling is the only option.
    Why not get both? If the house is a good deal, you could borrow a little extra and if there's no room for borrowing extra then the house isn't worth the money you're paying for it. It should always be a really good deal or a no deal deal.
    Get his teeth fixed even if you have to use payment plan/credit card because like it or not,, men don't want to have ugly hurting teeth either. Back when I had less money I'd do laundry at night, remove the hose from the back of the dryer so it'd help heat the house (put panty hose on the end to catch the lint).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• http://worldental.org/oral-hygiene/dental-problems-affect-overall-health/

You might know it as gum disease, but periodontal disease has been linked to a variety of other systemic health issues including heart disease and stroke. It’s also the leading cause of tooth loss in adults.
    http://www.cornerdental.com/Dental_Health/dental-problems.html

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009