What is really going on?

I'm 34 weeks pregnant. I'm having a baby boy, but there are some complications with my pregnancy. My son is only at 19% growth rate and he has large amounts of fluid in his kidneys. My doctor thinks I have gest. diabetes but we can't get a clear test result. I also have low amniotic fluid, but that problem is still very minor according to my doc. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if my son is going to be ok, and how I can deal with at least one of these problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should probably go on the diet for gest. diabetes just in case.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Wow sounds like your doctor isn't really doing much for you and isn't giving you any answers, I hope things turn out better, and that you and baby will be fine and healthy and I'd probably get a second opinion.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I'm sorry to pester you with questions but. . .Is your doc a high risk specialist? does the hospital you are going to to deliver at have a Neonatal ICU? Have they discussed anything like inducing early because of failure to grow? Done an amnio to check lung development? steroid shots to mature the lungs? Do that have a reason for low weight besides low fluid? have they checked the sized of your placenta? The number of blood vessels in the umbilical cord?

I ask all this because my daughter was induced 4 weeks early at 2lb13oz. Through my whole pregnancy she was behind on growth/weight and I had low fluid levels. I was sent to a high risk specialist at a hospital that had like a level 3 NICU They induced early and gave me steroids to mature her lungs. She spent about 2 weeks in the NICU and was sent home on a monitor (very typical). Now she is a very active an bright 13 year old.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• With my son I had gestational diabetes, I found out at 4 months. For the duration of my pregnancy they had me on essentially a low carb diet. I of course also had to monitor my sugar with a glucose meter. They told me that gestational diabetes would lead to a large baby. He turned out okay, spent a few days more than I did in the hospital intensive care unit. Somehow he was born with pneumonia, which no one ever said was related to my condition. I carried to 39 weeks and he stopped moving so they induced. Personally, with as far along as you are, I would think you were going to be fine, and so will your baby. Stock up on meats, proteins and that may help the baby grow more. Less pastas or potatoes they are carbs. I'm no dr...but don't think it will hurt. I am currently pregnant again only this time I have very low sugar...and the diet is pretty much the same. I wish you luck :)
    Wshngstr1976

Answer by Wshngstr1976 at 4:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2009