what is the difference between a midwife and a doctor/ obgyn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The "style" of service they provide. They can vary greatly!
    A midwife is a normal birth specialist, better trained & more experienced with the normal pregnancy and labor situations and complications. They care for women with a more personal & one-on-one kind of care.
    An OB is a surgeon and a high-risk specialist, well trained in treating illness and performing surgery.
    Depending on where a women is in the world, it might be normal for most moms to see a midwife or OB.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• In my experience, I used to go to an OB group now I go to a midwife. Ive felt much less rushed with the mw. Appointments are longer and I feel I get much more support. He is much better about answering my questions and really listening. Also, I was in labor with DD for 8.5 hrs and the midwife never left the room. He supported me every step of the way. An OB just pops in and out and often doesnt show up til you're pushing. I am pregnant again and am going to the same mw. Even though his office/hospital are 1 hr away from me and there are OBs right down the street....Id never go to an OB again!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I love my midwife <3 I know the biggest difference is that most dont offer an epidural and focus more on the natural process of labor. My midwife stayed with me the whole time and was very supportive. They tend to take more time and answer more questions. I have never once felt rushed. I would never go to a regular doctor!!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• How about you go to www.google.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2009