Why do people think Mexican, when they hear the words illegal immigrants?

Mexicans are just one of many nationalities here in the USA that are illegal, but its been my experience that most people think of Mexicans when you mention illegal immigrants.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I worked for Immigration and processed at min. 60 cases per day for the adjudication officer. I can tell you that it was extremely rare to run across a EWI (enter w/o inspection) case that was not from Mexico. So, here in America it is logical and more than 99.9 % correct when a person says the person is an illegal immigrant they are from Mexico. To add, there were few days I worked there where I did not "not" process every case I processed that day as an EWI case which again was most often a person from Mexico that entered without inspection (crossed the border illegally).
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Because the majority of the illegal immigrants come from the southern border.
    Mexico 7,000,000 57 28%
    El Salvador 470,000 4 9%
    Guatemala 370,000 4 28%
    India 280,000 3 133%
    China 230,000 2 21%
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• welp Chrissy that about sums it up..*brushes off my hands* Looks like the question can be closed now..*laughs*
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The same reason most people picture a Catholic church when someone mentions a church - they outnumber the rest.
    Anonymous

• Crissy beat me to it..most are mexicans..so no more wondering why
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I know, it's a nasty stereotype. I loved living in the northeast because being Mexican somehow seemed exotic - like being Puerto Rican is exotic in Texas but not so much in the northeast.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 4:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I agree with Chrissy and anon :50
    Anonymous

• crissy most all of central america has to come through the southern border to get into the states. Just because they cross the border from Mexico doesn't make them all Mexicans. What about that?
    Anonymous

• I think your question has been adequately answered here!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Anon read the numbers! Pay attention. Mexican immigrants out number Chinese immigrants. If the numbers were reversed people would then associate Chinese with illegal immigration. I am pretty sure when you think of an Irish person you think of drinking! or when you hear Latin music you think of salsa. Its called word association.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2009