Potty Training Tips

I am working on potty training my 19 month old daughter. My baby sitter takes her to the potty whenever either herself or the other little girl that goes there goes potty. She will point at her diaper and try to take off her pants when she goes #2, and when you change her she says "ewww." Also, she gets excited when she gets to sit on the potty and knows how to flush the toilet. What are some other tips or pointers that I can do at home to help the process along and get her to actually pee pee or poo poo IN the toilet?

B-rit_32506

Asked by B-rit_32506 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to be aware of her cues & try to get her to the potty when you think she needs or is going to need to go. I took a little potty seat with me everywhere for about 3 months while my dd was learning. Encourage her to go frequently & watch her for signs of going (grunting, squatting, being very still for more than a minute or two). You can also encourage her to stay on the potty till she goes with books, toys, or songs. I let my dd go diaper free as much as possible while she was leaning. It did leave some messes for me, but it helps them to be more aware of their bodies & helps you get them on to the potty faster. Keep 2 or 3 little potty chairs around so if she starts going you can swoop in & place her on it. You can encourage going potty by making a "ssssss" sound. I even tried to demonstrate pushing for her by flexing my stomach & grunting. Just be patient with her, 19 months is young...best of luck!

curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 10:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2009