How do I get my 2 month old daughter to sleep in her own crib?

Robin_Ayla

Asked by Robin_Ayla at 6:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just started laying my daughter in there with her Rainforest mobile on..she would stare at it until she fell asleep. She's been able to put herself to sleep in there & stay in there until she gets hungry again ever since :) good luck
    CaydensMama505

Answer by CaydensMama505 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Its hard, but always put her in there and ley her cry it out i know its hard but you will be sorry if you dont you will never get sleep
    fwatts4591

Answer by fwatts4591 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

fwatts4591

• Do not let her cry it out. She just spent her first 9 months in your womb... now you want a 2-month-old to just lay there and cry!?! She is too young to be sleeping more than a few hours at a time. Get a sling and walk around with her. You will BOTH be happier. Check out the CIO alternatives group here on CM, they can give you alternatives on helping your kids get to sleep without letting them cry.

Just lay her down in her crib, if she wakes up and cries PICK HER UP. If a baby is crying, she needs something. Love, food, diaper, whatever.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 9:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• There are different ways to do it. Remember that if you choose to enforce the CIO (cry it out) method, it is intended to help her. So if at any time you feel uncomfortable with it, you can make change the method to suit you. After all, every baby is different.

While it doesn't work for everyone, it's what worked for our family. If you are interested, Google the term 'Ferber Method'.

DON'T LET OTHER MOTHERS GUILT YOU IF YOU DECIDE TO ATTEMPT THE CIO METHOD. It's merely their opinion; and just like assholes, everybody's got one. :)
    thelovehater

Answer by thelovehater at 9:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• P.S. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    thelovehater

• I wouldn't do CIO YET... Start by putting her in there at naptime(s). If she wakes up & cries, then rock her (or whatever you do) and put her back in the crib. Once she gets used to the crib at naptime, then you can tackle bedtime. Good luck.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I didnt put my baby in his crib till about 6 months. He slept with us for the first 6 or in his bassinett. I know people who did the crib thing from the very beginning and they never slept. My son started sleeping all night about 6 months. And thats when he started sleeping in his crib.
    LauraLeeTo

Answer by LauraLeeTo at 11:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• By the way. I do the CIO method because my son fights sleep. He cries for about 5 - 10 min. then he is out like a light, all night! We did not start that till 6 months either.
    LauraLeeTo

Answer by LauraLeeTo at 11:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Everyone has a different parenting style and you do what works for you. We started a routine daily and she sleeps in her crib just fine. Just make sure you lay her down somewhere differently during the day for naps. For the routine we rock, give paci, keep it dark and lay her down. She never fusses now. It will take about 3 days for her to get acclimated to her new bed, so just be patient. Let her cry a little b/4 disturbing her, then pat, give paci and walk away. If you get her to fall asleep b/4 you lay her down works too. Also, make sure the bed is comfy. I lay 4 small towels down where she lays her face to catch drool or spit up(even though she rarely does that). You could also try laying her on her tummy. That's what we do and she prefers it. She hates being on her back, she feels like she's falling. Just make sure you put the towels under a tight sheet if you do that though. She can breath through those.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 12:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2008