Does being completely potty trained mean "no more bed-wetting"?

I just want to hear from other parents who have successfully potty trained their kids. Did your kids still wet the bed even after they were potty trained? Did you put them in diapers at night time, just in case? Did that make them regress? I have heard that once you start potty training to throw all diapers away, even for bed time because it could confuse the child and make them regress.

Anyway, I guess my question is if your child is potty-trained, do they still wet the bed at night time? And how old is your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my child still wets the bed she is 4 i sometimes make her were pull ups at night even though she hates it i am sick of washing sheets everyday
    Anonymous

• Night time dryness takes longer. It can take years longer. I consider them potty trained when they are day-trained.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Normally wetting the bed overnight will stop on its own once they have been potty trained for awhile, but for some, especially boys, it will take alot longer for their brain to start waking them up when they are in a deep sleep to go pee. I consider fully-trained when they KNOW to go whenever they need to, so fully day trained, bedtime is different, especially if you train young.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 6:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My daughter is 4 years old, turning 5 next month. Shes been potty trained since 18 months. She has never wet the bed until a few months ago. And its mostly because she doesnt use the toilet before bed. Ive learned that if she doesnt drink much before bed and i make sure she uses the toilet before she falls asleep then she doesnt wet the bed. But i agree with the other comments as well. It takes time for some children to fully understand everything about it.
    Jordynsmommy04

Answer by Jordynsmommy04 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my son was potty trained at 2 he never wet the bed and when he was 3 he started wetting the bed not everynigh but enough to start making my house smell like pee..yes i wash the sheets everime....but i started making him wear pull ups a night and he hates it but he has gotten better at not wetting the bed because if he doesnt wet the bed or pull up all week we take it off but when he has and accident he has to wear them agin....i think it was because he was lazy and didnt want to get up or becuase he was in deep sleep.
    MaMaDukeS321

Answer by MaMaDukeS321 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I consider day time potty trained and night time wetting two totally different ball games. Day time wetting is controllable night time wetting isn't the child's 'fault' so there really is no 'training' involved. My son was day time trained at 3 but didn't stop wetting the bed until 4.5. We did use 'special night time under wear' (pull-ups) to protect the bed. He was told when he had 3 dry night in a row that he could wear his regular underwear to bed. He was so excited when he finally did it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I consider them two different things. My potty trained 2 year old wears a pull up at night. However. It's a touchy subject for me because I wet the bed until I was 7, and my parents thought I could stop. I guess they thought I LIKED waking up in pee, and not going to sleepovers? I guess they thought I liked them cutting off my water at 5pm and taking me to a hypnotherapist? I guess they thought I liked sleeping with a plastic garbage bag under my sheets because only babies get waterproof sheets? No. Every kid in my family wet the bed past 5, and I later found out SO DID MY DAD. He wet the bed until he was 8 and treated me like crap over it all those years. He said he doesn't' remember doing it, but his sister told me it was every night, and his parents actually spanked him for it and made him hang his sheets in the yard. Okay, maybe I don't blame him for blocking it out!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my dd has been potty train since she was 2. she is now 32 mts and at 29 mts she stop using pull ups at nite and so far she has had one accident
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Complete potty trained means just that COMPLETE. Few accidents, they can do all toileting on their own. They can pull up and down their pants, wipe themselves too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Well to me completely trained doe mean minimal bed wetting but mostly dry at night and no pull ups ...All kids typically will have accidents time to time. But I also kinda disagree with my own statement...LOL Because many kids just have issues at night but are fine all day.
    Anonymous