I am depressed and feel like I want to cut myself. Should I? Who will it hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• It will hurt you, obviously, and it will make the ones you love the most worry a lot about you.

People who cut are more likely to be suicidal. Instead of giving in to these urges, seek professional help. Start on a medication for your depression instead, or start psychotherapy.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yourself. Your family. If you cut yourself too deep, it will hurt everyone around you. You may not think it will, but it will. Your child(ren) need their mommy not sitting in an hospital or dead. Call up a friend or family member. Make an appointment to talk to a doctor. Dont hurt yourself because you think it wont hurt anyone else. Youre not alone; the world does not revolve around you. You have a family who loves and cares and needs you.
    Anonymous

• Medication to make me numb to everyone else... thanks for the advice but I think I will pass. I am not suicidal at all... this is my replacement.
    Anonymous

• Who will it hurt? Anyone who cares about you. Family, friends, children especially if you have them. Be strong, be mature. Seek help instead of being self-destructive.
    Beichan

Answer by Beichan at 5:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Antidepressants DO NOT make you numb to everyone else. Where did you get that idea? Talk to your doctor about it. Some people don't even need them, psychotherapy works for them. You can also take St. John's Wort, which has a mild anti-depressant effect. It takes a month or more for it to work, though (just like any mood stabilizing medicine), so be patient. I really think that you should get some help, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The only help I need is support and encouraging words... this need to cut only comes a couple times a year.
    Anonymous

• I used to cut myself. I have three deep scars that will never go away. They are obvious to everyone. It makes me self-conscious. If nothing else, don't do it because you will regret the scars later, when the feeling passes.
    Anonymous

• You're asking us to support you to hurt yourself. We are all here for you, sweetie, but none of us want to see you go down that path. I'm encouraging you to get the help you need instead of using a destructive outlet. I've known a lot of cutters in my life, and I don't think it makes anyone a bad person, but I do think that it is an outlet for a much bigger issue, which should be dealt with instead of pushed under the rug, so to speak.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• No... not to support me hurting myself. To help talk me out of it.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone...
    Anonymous