Hopw much more of this is going on in America?

Feds seize 4 mosques..

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 6:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Imogine Not if they are using the facility to break laws.

I am sure the feds would seize a Catholic church if they were cooking meth in the basement.
    "It is extremely rare for U.S. law enforcement authorities to seize a house of worship, a step fraught with questions about the First Amendment right to freedom of religion."
    "Prosecutors said the Alavi Foundation, through a front company known as Assa Corp., illegally funneled millions in rental income back to Iran's state-owned Bank Melli. Bank Melli has been accused by a U.S. Treasury official of providing support for Iran's nuclear program, and it is illegal in the United States to do business with the bank."
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• NEW YORK -- Federal prosecutors Thursday took steps to seize four U.S. mosques and a Fifth Avenue skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization long suspected of being secretly controlled by the Iranian government.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• error in title...HOW*
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Doesn't that violate the constitution with freedom of religion?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Read the Article Imogine.

In what could prove to be one of the biggest counterterrorism seizures in U.S. history, prosecutors filed a civil complaint in federal court seeking the forfeiture of more than $500 million in assets of the Alavi Foundation and an alleged front company.

The assets include Islamic centers in New York City, Maryland, California and Houston, more than 100 acres in Virginia, and a 36-story office tower in New York.

Seizing the properties would be a sharp blow against Iran, which has been accused by the U.S. government of bankrolling terrorism and seeking a nuclear bomb.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Doesn't that violate the constitution with freedom of religion? How they still cannot run terror organizations out of the mosques or fund them. My church lost tax exempt status and was raided because our pastor told people to remember to vote. Did not endorse a candidate just told people to vote. If they can do that for a benign comment I am pretty sure they will do much more for religious organizations that promote terroism.
    Anonymous

• Imogine why so quick to negatively judge the government?

Anonymous

• I was just asking. Jeeze! Excuse me!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

Who doesn't judge the government. But i wasn't judging the government I just didn't understand but I do now.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2009