How to get rid of the pacifier?

I have a 23-month old daughter that just will not get rid of her "binkie". We've tried numerous times to get rid of it, and after 4 or 5 hours of straight crying at bedtime (I'm not exaggerating) we've ended up giving it back to her. I realize we've given the mixed signals, but I hate the idea that she still uses a pacifier. She uses it only for her nap and at bedtime, usually spitting it out after she falls asleep. It's like she physically cannot sleep without it. What can I try to get her to sleep without the binkie. Please help...I'm out of ideas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make a game out of it for her, the best way to that worked for my daughter who is now 11, and we are getting ready to do it with my son is, we took her to the trash can and said to her, okay it's time to say bye-bye and tell her to throw it in the trash and ask her if she is ready to be a big girl? The crying is going to happen, she needs to find another way to soothe herself to sleep , but it will come just be patient with that and don't give in , just remind her that you said bye bye to the binky and it was time for big girl stuff! It worked for us!
    Cashnludamom

Answer by Cashnludamom at 10:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My son had this same issue, he was 2 1/2 before he stopped taking his pie-pie. The only thing that worked for us was to snip a tiny hole in the end of the nipple part. after a few days snip it again, and so on...

Riley just stopped taking it, now he'll be 3 next week and he is talking alot more! (he hardly ever spoke a word when he was taking a pacifier)
    Jen5454

Answer by Jen5454 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2009