how to work on my 8 .5 month son to make ...

his development steps more age appropriate? i just checked the list for an average 9 month baby and it made me somewhat sad. my son does not do so many of what the list say. he is healthy, eats well, laughs with me a lot, i try to do the best for him on a daily basis - sing, read, play with him, we go for brumbrum... etc. but: he does not crawl, is not good in equilibrium while sitting, can stand for 3 secs when supported, but does not pick food with his hands much yet, sippy cup is to play not to drink from (well, he bites it), i could really continue. his strong side was starting fast to talk and we communicate well (we have our language), but there are so many areas which he lacks points in. what should i do? how do you do it? any advice? thanks a lot!

baby133

Asked by baby133 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is totally fine don't stress yourself if he can't do everything on that list many can't and its an estimate and because all babies are different it is not exact! Some babies walk at 8mos other closer to 15mos! Thats just an example:) SOme kids never scoot or crawl. My daughter was fast physically but never really used the sippy cup till 14mos! But she walked at 9mos...LOL If you pediatrician was at all concerned you would know so just keep being a wonderful mommy and he will be just fine:)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my son will be nine months on the 17th of this month and he cant do alot of things eaither, he can sit up for a very veery short time, he can crawl really good, but he cant eat with his fingers yet he loves the bottle he can not stand, some babies are just different though
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Don't worry about it. My son doesn't crawl, or pick food with his hand either . Some babies skip crawl and go straight to stand up and start walking . If your son is healthy then I would just enjoy it . I introduce sippy cup to my son when he is 6 months old bt he just bites on it so I went straight to regular cup . He seems to enjoy drank from it and always wants to be just like adult, start by gave him each sip. My only problems were that my son hates cereal or veggies or any solid food .
    hungluvphuong

Answer by hungluvphuong at 6:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Don't worry about it AT ALL!! Those milestones are simply a guide. Every single one of my kids has been SO different. Some things they did early, some really late, and some right when they "should.". Keep playing with him and enjoying him. He'll be just fine!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Don't worry!! Babies all develop at different rates - you don't have to keep up with what it says in any book!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• The developmental milestones are a guide - - and there is a WIDE range of what is considered "normal". Every kid is going to fall somewhere a little different, even within the same family. None of the things you mentioned are anything to worry about - - you're doing good!!!! :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• all babies are different and develop at different times. don't worry...if there was a concern your baby's doctor would address it when he/she sees your baby and asks about what's going on. pretty soon you'll be wishing baby was still not mobile....lol...you'll be chasing baby soon enough!! enjoy your time with your little one...they grow fast.
    BeccasSky

Answer by BeccasSky at 4:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2009