My Chiweenie's Ear

So we got this chiweenie for our sons bday in sept. I just noticed yesterday though that his right ear doesnt look like the other anymore...usually they fold over to the front or when we looks up at you his ears sit up like the chiuhuahua in him. but his right ear just lays sideways. i am going to try and get a pic so i can show ya but should i be worried?

ldylancer03

Asked by ldylancer03 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Alot of times when a dog hold their ear funny it is an indication of an ear infection. It probably hurts. Check the inside and see if the ear looks red or inflamed. There is probably a lot of wax as well.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• it could be an ear infection but it also could just be that hes a mixed breed... chi's ears stand straight up and dachshunds ears do not.. so maybe its just a mutt thing ;) i would look for brownish/yellowish goo and watch for itching and redness... if you dont see any of those signs and he seems okay i wouldnt worry
    sherwins.girl

Answer by sherwins.girl at 11:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Thank you both so much...i will go and look at his ear. hopefully its nothing. it just worried me cause all this time before now his ears were the same. then this happened. thanks again.
    ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Generally with breeds that have straight ears, it'll straighten out gradually. If there's no infection then it's just a mutt thing. I have a shepard/hound mix and his ears are set the the side like a hound, but straight like a german shepard. It always looks like he's flying. Some days though, one flops down more than the other. Just kind of how he goes.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think just keep a good eye on the inside of the ear and keep it cleaned out the best you can to guard against infection. I have a daschund and he is a maniac about his ears....when he gets excited running through the yard his ears flip so they look like he has a hat on backwards and go flapping around behind him. When he comes in I just turn them right again, but they don't seem to bother him.
    Anonymous