what is the age for us to start ....

teach our children to be more realistic about life rather than just letting them have days filled with games, fun, laughter, cuddles etc. when to stop giving them this unnatural impression onto life and turn a switch for a more mature-alike treatment? one can ever spoil a baby, but ... so many of first kids in families run into emotional problems later on in their lifes (is it on account of giving them too much of attention from youngest days of being he only baby?) how do Americans and when learn not to act like on the tv screen, which is soooooo overloaded with bad attitudes and behavior - i am talking about those progarms for kids only per say? in my country-Poland-these movies has not been shown and none none problem of being mean, xtra selfish, or willing to depart home since 18 or younger,nor money-minded-focus while in school etc. etc. real exists. i am far from knowing. my son was will have his life here,'d like 2know.

baby133

Asked by baby133 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've never let my kids think the world revolves around them. They know that I love them. Daddy loves them, but they shouldn't expect anyone else to. They have always been taught, from the beginning, to behave well.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Let them be a kid while they are a kid, most of our life on earth is spent being an adult! Teach maturity and values, but enjoy your kids while they are young.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I would NEVER stop cuddling with my kid, never stop giving love and having fun. Why do people want their kids to grow up so fast? LET THEM BE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!! They will have plenty of time to grow up and get a realistic view of the world. My son knows that life doesn't revolve around him but he does know that he is well loved and that I will always be there for him, that we will have fun and if he wants to cuddle, talk, etc. I will be there for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I get what you are saying. I refused to let my kids think the world revolves around them, too. My youngest is 3 and she is expected to do her chores and help around the house. My older kids are 9, 8 and 7 and they basically take care of themselves. They can get their own food, use a microwave to warm stuff, use the toaster, know how to use knives to cut their food, the older two do their own laundry (including washing, drying, folding and putting away). They make a mess, they clean it up. They've been doing chores since they were 3, getting their own food since they were 4, using the microwave/toaster since they were 5.
    This still have plenty of time to be kids. They play outside with their friends, ride bikes, play with each other, watch TV, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2009