I despise being at home all the time, and my toddler is stressing me out beyond what I can handle.

He's not even 2 yet, and I swear if "Terrible Two's" are worse than this I'm making my DH quit work and I'll work. He's very high-strung, and hyper like his daddy was when he was little, and he gets in to everything. I just can't take it. DH works 60+ hours a week, and I stay at home all day, mostly even after he gets home. I feel isolated and my DS is driving me insane. He destroys the house, it looks like a pig pen in here and I just cleaned yesterday, and I'm not exaggerating. He pulls out trash in the trash can, threw all of our DVD's on the floor today and scratched a lot of them, He climbs on the counters, breaks things, spills things, he manages to get in to everything. I'm just sick of it! I have nobody who is willing to baby-sit. I'm very persistent with my DS, and nothing works. He just doesn't understand yet! I want out, and away from being a mommy every once in a while. I need advice from some who have been in this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Xanax....lol...I survive by closing off areas and making sure nothing is in his reach.
    Anonymous

• find a daycare, work part time and GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE before you break, you're stronger than i am, it only took me a couple of months before i was ready to go back to work. the money you make will def cover your daycare
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• sounds like u need a brake too just get a way for a few hrs if it just going to eat at mcdonalds or gettn ur nails done. u need some YOU time.
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 7:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Toddlers get into everything and as a parent you need to put the things away that you dont want him to get into. You cant expect him to be neat he's a child so yes they will be messy. I'm a stay at home mom also and my husband works 65-70 hrs. a week. When he is at home he takes over. Even if I dont want to go anywhere he insists because he understands that I need a break. I am able to unwind and get ahold of myself so when it's just me and my daughter again I will be refreshed. Sounds like you just need to get away.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Do you have any friends? Go out with friends once a month...kid free! That's what I do, I'm home all day with a 2 year old like yours and a 5 year old also. My Husband works the same hours and is a firefighter so he's out the door with the sound of an alarm...stressful! I have noticed that just that one little outing a month makes all the difference...even if it's just to a movie! Lose the DVD's...all that crap that looks inviting and messy...block it away from him. Can you gate off your kitchen so he can't get into the trash? Or put it in a cabinet w/ locks? Is there a park near you...getting tired out also helps a lot too! Good luck <3
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You need a break... Every Mommy needs one every once in a while. I like to get my nails, toes, and eyebrows done every couple of weeks. It gives me a little bit of ME time. You should let your DH know how you're feeling. My DH works a lot of hours too. He understands that it's not always easy being a SAHM. I have a 2 year old and 8 month old. Message me if you need to talk to an adult. I know it can be hard sometimes and you just want to speak to an adult.

Hope this helps.

Erika
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Take a deep breath and realize-it will not last forever. Believe me I have been through times were I wanted to give my kids away.I wanted to jump in my van and drive away,find a motel and check in simply to get some real rest!! I have a boy and a girl with ADHD. Your ds is two. That alone makes parents loose it but IF he has a special challenge such as adhd that would for sure compound things. They say at two you can't really tell if a child has it but that does not take away from the fact that as parents we have to cope somehow till there is something that can be done to help. I don't know but you need a break!! I found a day care that was willing to allow me to bring my dd a couple days per week when she was about that age. You may have to call around but whatever you do,do something,find someone to help you. Good Luck((HUGGS))
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Get out the house at least once or twice per day. Take a stroller ride, take a walk, go pick up leaves or go look at the trees. Being outdoors makes me feel better, and a lot less claustrophobic. I don't ANY time away from my toddler either, so I can sympathize.

Can you take a breather when your husband gets home from work, and your child is in bed for the night?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yes, you need a break. But this is a discipline issue, too. And a "needs more supervision" issue. A toddler should not be able to completely destroy your house like that, or get up onto the cabinets regularly. Get him out to RUN. Go for long walks, take him to the park, whatever you've got. Sounds like he wants to get out, too!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Do you live close to me? My older son was the same way and it nearly (still does sometimes) drove me nuts! I want to help you.
    The best thing to do is set up activities that wear him out. A tired toddler is a happy toddler. There are days when I take my sons all day to different places and let them run as much as possible. Places like a park, playplace, playground, play group. Now that my four yr old is old enough we go to the field near our house and "work out". I have shown him jumping-jacks (he LOVES those), squats, push ups, and a lot of running. It is good for me, I need the excercise and it wears him out. He is much, much easier to deal with after he has gotten all his energy out. He ears better, he will sit quietly and listen to books. Another thing we did is get a dog. I don't suggest this unless you are 100% dedicated to raising and caring for the dog though. Ours is a lab so he can take the roughness and loves kids.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 9:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2009