my job is demanding everyone to work during Thanksgiving =(

I hate it because that is the one holiday that all of my family comes togeter...even distant family. My boss has said if you don't show for work that you are fired. I've come to terms with it but I hope they are not bluffing on the firing people. I will be so PISSED if people call out and they dont fire them. I am missing seeing my family...my uncle is dying and my brother is leaving to boot camp Dec 1st. Do you think they are bluffing or have you ever heard of being fired for callin out during the holidays

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Depending on your state employment laws, I know in SC they can not make you work thankgiving or christmas, they can ask but thats it. If it is in your employee handbook, then yes they can fire you but like I said it depends.

Call you labor board and ask them.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I don't know about your company on this policy, but I used to work in healthcare, and at times people would call in during holidays, they weren't fired, as far as I remember. I would ask if you are concerrned.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 7:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Talk to you boss about your specific situation. I don't know what you do, but typically in every job....there's always someone who will fill in, because they need the money.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my boss has said EVERYONE will work that day and NOBODY is getting the day or black friday off. I did tell my boss about what was going on and everyone else has their reasons to..what makes my excuse any more special?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Thats the unfortunate part part about not being your own boss, Im sorry to hear that.

I love that I only answer to my own goals and dreams.

Hang in there!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I have worked in serveral places where calling out on a holiday was automatic termination. You need to have letter from a hospital, proof someone died or a police report. They didn't bluff either.I lived in jersey for one job and NC for two jobs
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I'm sorry, I wish I could trade places with you! I volunteer to work every year on Thanksgiving and have NEVER gotten to. So, I use that day to work my business even harder... I would assume if there were laws in place that stopped them from being able to do that, they wouldn't do it. But at least they are trying to be fair, they aren't giving some the day off and not others... Plus, you should get holiday pay, I would think... That's a bonus!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• yeah, i'm just gonna be Pissed if a bunch of people call out and they dont do anything about after telling me that i have to come in
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I'm a boss....that's why I suggested that. I can usually see through excuses, so I'm always willing to listen to what they have to say about having time off.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Not thanksgiving, but blackfriday, when i worked retail for a lovely 5 years if you called out on black friday you were told not to come in again....except walmart....they were the only company that didnt put your job on the line....but other places it was a well known fact you were gonna work black friday for some kinda shift or else.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2009