She wont hold my hand.

My daughter is 15 months old and she refuses to hold my hand. I will take her for a walk and I'll grab her hand and try to rediredt her in the direction I want to go and she jerks her hand away and throws herself on the ground. It's like she has a mini tantrum because she will start screaming. Is it just her age or is there some other way for her to take my hand when i ask for it?

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did the same thing and also refused to sit in a stroller...such a punk lol! You could get a backpack leash, they're like stuffed animals you wear on your back but have a tail (leash) she can walk freely w/out your hand but you're still holding her! I was always against them then my daughter got ahold of a monkey one and fel in love...she used it and loved it andit made walks much safer and more enjoyable!
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• It's typical for tots her age to exhibit independence. My 16 month old doesn't like it when I hold her hand on walks either. The only time I absolutely insist on it is when we're crossing the street. Maybe you could try to redirect her with words where you want to go? This is what I do: I get my dd's attention by getting down on her level and directly in front of her. I tell her, "Okay Victoria, we're going this way now!" I point in the direction that we're going to go, and I gently coax her in that direction by patting her shoulder. It takes a few times of doing this for her to get the point.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• At this age, I used a wrist leash to teach my child to hold hands. I was so pregnant! The leash was there so that if she tried to bolt, she could only go 2 feet. There are times you NEED them to hold your hand. Initially, I made her hold my hand all the time outside of the house, but after about a month, she was compliant with it. I started allowing her to walk near me, and she did because she was used to it. I keep the wrist leash in my diaper bag even now, in case she decides that she's going to run off. However, I haven't had to use it in months. She knows when I say "hand" I mean it. I reserve it now for when she truly has to, such as crossing the street or in a parking lot. Because I don't make her all the time now, she's more likely to understand when I insist, I'm serious. But at your kid's age, consistency is really important, and she doesn't yet know that cars can squish her.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My 16 mo will only hold my hand when it is convenient for her. So we have a bear that she wears with a tail. I have been trying to get her to wear in since she was 12 mos old and in the last 3 weeks she wants to wear it all the time even at home. He goes everywhere with us. I would suggest going a harness of some sort until she realizes that she needs to hold moms hand. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2009