When blind people are sleeping, do they see their dreams?

I'd call my Uncle to ask him but I can't afford the long distance charges. He's blind and both of his wives were blind as well. I happened to come across this question on another site and wondered why I'd never thought of asking it before.

I could understand if someone could see and then became blind, that they would see in their dreams, but what about those who are blind from birth? Are their dreams just black with voices?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Thank you for posting that site wildboyz1994. This is very interesting, and that answer from the newcomers group was copied and pasted directly from that site lol. Also, you can call your uncle for free from the computer. If you go to http://www.skype.com and put his number in, you can call him. If your computer doesn't have a microphone built in, you may need to purchase one, but I believe that would still be cheaper than a long distance call lol. Hope this helps!w
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• bumpThis is a good question, I'm going to have to keep checking in to see what answers you get! lol I'm speechless!

nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I also asked in the Newcomers group and no one knows there either. I wish I wasn't so poor because I could give him call and just ask.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Here's an answer I got in the group:

People who are blind do dream. The dreams of people who have been blind from a very early age (called “congenital blindness”) tend to be different from those who are blind now but had sight before. Those who are congenitally blind often have dreams that include more instances of sounds. Both groups experience dreams as imaginatively rich as those of sighted people.

Whether or not congenitally blind people dream in images has been studied, but the findings have been mixed – some studies conclude that congenitally blind people do not dream visual images, while other reports conclude that they do.

SO IT'S NOT CONCLUSIVE WHETHER THEY HAVE 'VISUAL' DREAMS OR NOT.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I am not blind and I have never personally known anybody that was blind...However, I was watching something (maybe on TLC or the Discovery channel) about this little boy and they asked him that very question, and he said no he doesn't see anything in his dreams because he doesn't know what anything looks like. He actually said that most of the time he dreams of falling. Now that is just an example of one child...so that may not be everybody.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• How could they dream of things they've never seen? I would imagine it would be all sound and smells.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I wanna know how deaf people 'think to themselves' ... Totally off topic i know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• BridgetC140,

But they still have an imagination and have to use it to guess what things look like, so would these 'guesses' turn up in their dreams?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Yeah, but I think their imagination would revolve around smells, sounds and even textures of surfaces, wet and dry. I don't think they would see anything at all if they were blind from birth.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• "How could they dream of things they've never seen?" - Imagination maybe? Just a thought..
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009