Being induced at 39 weeks!

So my doctor gave me the news today that she will be inducing me on the 18th...im so excited and I can not wait but Im a little in the dark about the whole situation. With my first daughter they did induce me but only with pit. now she is talking about something that they put on my cervix the night before!! Is what she is talking about something called prostaglandin??? I have no idea about this if any of you ladies know please let me know!

jami5

Asked by jami5 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the stuff they put on your cervix is used to soften it for the baby to come through. they will use pitocin too.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 7:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• It's pig semen YUCK!!!
    Anonymous

• Cervidil is derived from pig sperm and works just like human male sperm to soften and ripen the cervix. It's often used in conjunction with Pitocin but sometimes Cervidil is the only thing needed to get things going.
    Anonymous

• well hell if it is like male sperm why don't you try and take care of that part yourself

I so did not realize it was pig semen but I do know that there is something in male sperm that starts the process that is why in some cases if you are high risk they tell you not to have intercourse after in the third trimester.
    Anonymous

• Your Dr told you she was inducing you? Didn't you have a say so in this? It is your baby and your body. What is her reason for inducing? Did she tell you a reason or is she keeping you in the dark about this as well? It is actually much healthier for your baby and for you to go into labor naturally.

Anonymous

• I thought cervidil was bad?? it was either cervidil or another one that was supposed to be bad, google it or ask around before using it!!
    Anonymous

• Why are you being induced?? Why wouldnt she give you a reason?? I would definatley tell her no unless there is a medical reason for doing it. Demand an answer. I dont think its very smart to get induced for no reason, jmo.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Im being induced because im in severe pain! Im pretty sure i have already tried sex and yeah i know there is something in sperm that softens the cervix but not working here...she said baby isnt even dropping and i told her im not about to carry this baby over my due date ive had enough pain its unbareable...
    jami5

Answer by jami5 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• And i may be wrong about the drug she is using because she said something about a string and im pretty sure the Cervidil is the drug that has the string!
    jami5

Answer by jami5 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• hehe Jami a day be4 me how lucky!!!!! lol i am already siting at 3cm dilated so i dont need any of those drugs except pitocin i wish u all the best xx
    MyPrincesses421

Answer by MyPrincesses421 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2009