What does walking the straight and narrow mean?

For sincere Christians please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well as I have studied means life wont be easy for the christian. Which goes with what God said that to be a follower of him would not be easy. So walking the straight and narrow is a hard life for the burden is heavy...
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I thought it was just being a generally good person, both to your own body and to the people around you. As in, no drinking, drugs, bad behavior, hurting others, breaking the law, etc.
    Anonymous

• getting on a balance beam and not falling off :-)

sorry. I hope you at least chuckled. I assume it means walking and not messing up. I told my son he better walk a straight line. It means if he so much as sneezes wrong I will take away his cell phone.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• rhanford please study ur word again u are misquoting scripture - Jesus said my yoke is easy and my burden is light...

Mt. 11:29 Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ([a]relief and ease and refreshment and [b]recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.(A)

30For My yoke is wholesome (useful, [c]good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

Anonymous

• Here is the scripture that the straight and narrow comes from

Matthew 7:13."Enter through the narrow gate ; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
    14."For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
    Anonymous

• To me it is a "point A to point B" thing. To get to heaven (point B) you must walk the straight and narrow path. Veering off the path means sinning. It is narrow because there isn't much wiggle room when you are truly living a rightous life. Rationalizing sins would be widening the path and when the path is widened it isn't as clear and it is much easier to lose your way. You may start off right next to the S&N path and then slowly start to veer off, after a while you are so far away from the path and you didn't even realize what was happening. And of course you could just completely head in a different direction, that would be leaving the path as well.
    I hope this makes sense, I can't figure out a better way to explain.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 8:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I'm not a Christian, but it obviously means that you live your life according to God's Word Alone, and you will not stray from Him or His Word! You dont need to be a Christian or a genius to know or figure that out.
    Anonymous

• walking through the narrow road, having a healthy fear of God and not doing what others are doing on the broad road?

Matthew 7:13-14 (New International Version)

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
    Anonymous

LOL!! Thank you anon! I was thinking the same thing!
    Anonymous

• Then why does Jesus also say that to follow him would not be easy?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2009