What should I do if my daughter comes home stoned?

My daughter didn't come home from school today and I have suspect that she may be getting high.
Her friend's dad came over to see if her friend was here and I just get this gut feeling that they may be out getting high.
I suspected this once before and I did not give her permission to stay after school or go anywhere today and she has done this before.
Should I call the police? She certainly won't listen to me about this and I think a wake up call is in order.

stndgfrm

Asked by stndgfrm at 8:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The police won't do anything about her getting high unless they catch her with anything. You may need to make her leash a little shorter and keep a much closer eye on her and who she is hanging with.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Um laugh? Do nothing? weed is a natural herb. Please people weed does not fry your brains. cocaine, heroine, speed, crystal etc does. Marijuana does not and will not ever fry someones brain or make you be slow. it is only illegal because the government wants it like that and they them selves know it isnt a drug. Plus if it becomes legal they will tax it
    Anonymous

• Call the police on your daughter? That will really help your relationship.

I suggest reading the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You are her mother an you need to do what ever you feel is in order her not coming home after school and not calling you. what if something happened to her :~{ you have ever right to call the police and tell her when they bring her home that you do't know if something happened to her or what and if she is found by the police and has or is smoking pot she may really get a big wake up call when se is found and when she has to stand infront of a judge. Wake up call is in order. GL with that.
    Anonymous

• Just so you are aware that if your daughter has a drug charge it can really affect her in the future even as far as her being denied funding for college. It states right on the FASFA that you can be denied federal aid for college for any drug charges on your record.
    Also I think she should lose some privelages like earlier curfew, take away her cell phone, and such. As for the getting high part honestly talk with her about it. Tell her how you feel and why you feel that way. You would be pretty surprised how much your teenagers DO listen to you.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 8:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• anon28-it doesn't matter what one thinks about the use/misuse of marijuana...fact is, it is an illegal substance. if op doesn't get a hold of her daughter, and attempt to control this illegal habit, if that is the case, something or someone will..then the legalities/punishment will be the problem.
    as her mother/legal guardian, it is not just your right but your responsibility to see that your child is safe and her well-being is under control. do what you have to. keep her home, set bounderies, discontinue her visits with certain friends. you still are her parent, and until she is 18, you are legally responsible for her. make a nuisance of yourself, but by all means, don't just ignore it by thinking it is harmless. once she respects your wishes/care, she can regain her privacy. IMO
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• WOW.
    How do you know I don't try already to keep a shorter leash on her? She didn't ask or have permission not to come home after school.
    Marijuana does affect the brain. It affects your reaction time and even though it is a natural herb does not mean it is safe. And even if you don't agree with me here it is still illegal.
    I do agree that it has less side effects than a lot of medications and may help some of the afflictions that I have but that doesn't make it OK for my teen to be smoking it.
    I merely asked if I should call the police, I didn't say that I was going to.
    I do try to talk to her but at 15 she thinks I don't know a darn thing and that she knows everything.
    Thank you though for your suggestion on that book. I will have to find it and read it.
    Thank you all for you suggestions.
    stndgfrm

Answer by stndgfrm at 8:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• also, you can purchase drug-test kits to use at home..tell her you will randomly administer these tests..it might make her more careful about her alleged use. it might cause her to rethink her activites.
    then again, it might not; but its worth a shot.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• You are her mother.... beat her ass and ground her. If you let her walk all over you and cry about it... she won't have any respect. Kick her ass, beat her ass, take her door off the hinges and punish her!!!
    Anonymous

• The weed thing isn't a biggy and you can't do any thing even if it was. The staying out thing. Get a copy of your phone bill and find her friends. Track her ass down. If she does any thing you are responsible. If she gets hurt or something happens you will never forgive yourself. Teach her if she respects you you respect her. I she comes home on time you can trust her more and let her go out more. Good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2009