Do i have to have (bloody show) to be in labor?

Just went to my OB today and i'm only 2cm dilated and 60% effaced that was thismorning at 8am. My hub n i just went out for a couple hours to Babies r Us and a few other stores n walked alot....im getting some NASTY cramps...almost like gas/period cramps...real bad. Should i keep walking? Should i just chill and put my feet up? Do i need a bloody show? I can't really time these(contractions/ cramps) very well since the pain is almost constant. This is my 3rd child....everything feels so different

guitarmom101

Asked by guitarmom101 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if you're getting contractions from walking, that's normal. to find out if you're in true labor, lay down and see if they continue after (I think) an hour. also, rehydrate- dehydration will cause cramping and pain. been there. you don't need a bloody show and contractions tend to be more spaced out even if they're not regular in the beginning so maybe its sciatica pain?
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• NOPE, your water doesnt have to break either!!! kinda annoying, but everyones labor is different...and your contractions DO NOT have to be perfectly consistent to call it labor either! time them...watch them, when they get closer and closer GO!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• no i didnt have a bloddy show with my first and my water didnt break. keep walking . they dont always get closer but they do have to be stronger
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• What the PP said. I didn't have contractions for some 12 hours AFTER my water broke and never had a bloody show. Walk it out and walk it out until you can't go any longer.
    Oh BTW - I had an OB appt the day before I went into labor and was only 1cm dilated. 24 hours later I had a baby!
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 8:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• i didn't have blood show until after i was 5 cm at the hospital getting checked and they broke my water a 8 cm those r just things to look 4 not necessities in labor ( well the water is but it can wait lol)
    deanna89

Answer by deanna89 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• My last pregnancy that just ended I went into labor at 38 1/2 weeks and my first contractions started at about every 1- 1/2min which was weird then after like 4-5 of those it switched to every 5-6min. Its supposed to be every 10min, then 5-6min then 1-2min. I didnt have a bloody show or my water break or nothing. I went to the hospital and was already dialated to 6-7cm which was fast considering I just had started havn contractions for only about 1hr. He was also just pushing down all day with his feet and I didnt think anything about it and it got more painful. They did a c-section incase his foot pushed harder and broke my water cause I guess that might have been bad.
    Anonymous