How many have experienced living with a drunkin parent?

I have lived with my grandparents from the age of 2 months. At 2 months of age my mother ran away to Philly and went on a drinking binge leaving me with a complete starnger. More specificly her drug dealer. After watching over baby me for 2 days they called my grandparents and said that if they dont come get this baby there calling social services. From that moment on i have lived with my wonderful grandparents. My mother has been in and out of my life but never have we had a good relationship. I learned at a very early age that she was nothing but false hopes, disapointment, and hurt.

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• My mom started drinking really badly after my dad had his 3rd stroke at the age of 49 and couldn't work any more. She went to work for minimum wage, I took over the household chores and she made friends with Jose. It got a lot worse when he died a few years later, and she got really mean. REALLY mean. She never hit us, but she did verbally abuse us pretty badly.

She still drinks too much, but she's not drunk every night. And she's almost never mean when she is. I don't know if time just healed her wounds enough that she could do that, or if the anti-depressants are working better now, but whatever it is, i'm glad for it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I haven't not since I was 4 however My mom was aweful, and my dh is an alcoholic. My uncle who was like a second father also was an alcoholic and so was my grandpa. So I have experience. What did you need. Did you need to ask something or just some one to talk to either way you can PM any time I will respond asap. I am sorry you must go through this it sucks big time I know.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Just was curious to see how often this happens, ive never actually talked to anyone with a simular background.
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my father is an alcoholic but i never lived with him.

My stepfather was/is an alcoholic lived with him till i was 16. He was in and out of jail for DUI's, abusive in everyway and an all around a hole. my lil sis still talk to him...can't blame them he is their father and its their choice.

He just got out of his last stint in jail....was picked up on a parole violation for using somekind of drugs dont know which and dont care.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• my dad is an alcoholic but he's not abusive and he's a good man other than the drinking
    Anonymous