Is it consider child abuse if a child has had a 103 fever for 3 days non stop an her mother refuses to take her to the doc or hospital?

My friends lil girl is 4 an has had a high fever for 3 days an now she is throwing up! she wont take her to the doc an i have told her repeatly that she needs to see a doc we actually got into a fight about this! idk wat to do! do i just let it go or call someone or keep tryin to get her to take her to the doc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• 103 is a dangerous fever. i think it warrants child endangerment if she isnt taking the child to the doctor or hospital.
    drdoolittle

Answer by drdoolittle at 8:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I am not sure what you can do but this little girl could have a serious infection or pneumonia, she really needs to see a doctor. I guess I would probably call cps if I felt she was in serious danger. I am not there but I just read that a fever that high could mean she is really sick
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 8:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• well 103 is high but northats high,. my 2 yr old has had afevr of 105. but i do agree she needs to take her to the doctor. is k to have a fever of 103 for one day but 3 days no
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• That child needs to be seen RIGHT AWAY you need to do something RIGHT NOW. Call someone or get the child yourself and bring her to the ER and when they ask for the mother tell them the truth. That child is what matters here not this friendship that you have this child is helpless and you as an adult need to do something. Right now if this Little girl dies then you have to live with the fact that you could have done something. Does she have a family member that will step in? Call them Right away.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• call an ambulance and tell them her adress.. you can also ask for a welfare check on the house with the cops and they will stop by to check on the house.

Just call the 911 and tell them the child has a 103 fever and needs medical attention.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Please do something that fever is way too high and she has carried it for too many days. She maybe dehydrated - seek help now.
    Anonymous

• 103 is not a dangerous fever. Fever is a good thing. Bacteria and viruses grow best at body temp and the body raises its temp so germs won't grow as well. If there are no other symptoms a doctor visit would be a waste because there would be nothing a doctor could do.

Here is a link to info about when to worry about children and illness. A fever is not dangerous until 108!

http://www.thechildrenshospital.org/wellness/at_home/fever/fever.aspx
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I told her mom i was gonna take her to the hospital an she told me she will cal the cops an tell them i kidnap her so i just found her dads number an called him an he is on his way ova to make her take her
    Anonymous

• My kids have had fevers and what not and I have not taken them to the docs, not because I was trying to be negligent but because I knew what I was doing. I have 4 kids and I have gone through so many kinds of colds and viruses with them and I know how to handle them. Now if my child had a fever of 103 and I gave him some Tylenol and it didn't  go down and he seemed to be getting worse I would take them into the docs, but for the most part a mother knows when their child isn't acting right and they know when it's time to see a doc. How do you know she hasn't seen this before with her child and knows how to handle it? And how do you know she hasn't called the doc and has already been told what to do and when to come in? Un;ess the mom has displayed other abusive behaviour towards the child I think she is perfectly capable of taking care of the child. in my opinion... so yeah i think that the mom knows best

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Gaill the site you cited also says: #

Call Your Doctor If: * Fever goes above 104°F (40° C) repeatedly. * Any fever occurs if under 12 weeks old * Fever without a cause persists over 24 hours. (if age less than 2 years) * Fever persists over 3 days * Your child becomes worse

the OP said that the child was 2 years old..close enough to the cut off and the fever has been around for 3 days already with no obvious cause.

the parent is obviously not going to call or take her to the doctor, leaving emergency response the only option for the OP

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2009