Whats going on!? im near tears!

My 2 year old is driving me nuts! he keeps throwing tantrums and I don't mean just any old tantrums, I mean SUPER tantrums! he is throwing screaming fits and wont let me put him down. I keep trying to feed him his dinner but he is refusing! I have never seen this with any of my other boys and its driving me nuts! I hate to say it but could it be something like add or autism or anything? I wouldn't think it was if it wasn't for the fact that he is throwing these tantrums, bacause he is really smart, he can already count to 10 and he has been making alot of progress with talking but he just started these really bad tantrums that scare me and hurt me. I feel like I am doing something wrong but I can't figure out what? Can you give me ideas on things to do before seeking medical help for him? thank you...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• look into his diet. food preservitives can cause some pretty bad behavioral issues.
    Anonymous

• He could be teething, he could be getting sick. He could be spoiled and need to be let down and let him cry. He will learn to not want to be held all the time. Put his food in front of him and if he doesn't feed himself, oh well. He needs to learn to do things himself. He could also have behavioral issues that need to be dealt with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• He is two he will out grow it put him down and walk away he just wants attention. My dd was the queen of tantrums lol
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Look into Sensory Integration Dysfunction. Take him into a quiet room with no distractions and just lie down with him for a few minutes until he calms. It sounds like either he is sick or he is WAY overstimulated.
    Anonymous

• If you ignore temper tantrums they go away. Put your son in his room or another safe place and tell him that he can come out when he is done throwing a fit, every time he comes out and throws another temper tantrum you put him back into his bedroom or other safe place. Children that age throw temper tantrums for one of two reasons either you aren't understanding something he thinks is important or he is trying to see how far you will let him go before you've had enough of his foolishness. If the first he needs to learn that yelling and pitching a fit is not an apporpriate way to express himself and if it's the second he needs to learn that you are the parent and he is the child and you won't deal with this foolishness.
    Anonymous

• He just wants attention. I am a grandma NO boys in our family Just girls But our littleone she could be heard miles away and when she gets started now still can she is 8 just like her mom not
    so not far from the tree right I know all the yelling and screaming is getting on your last nerve but can I suggest something is there a park or an area where moms can take kids to play or can you and dad take turns with him doing things don't forget the other fellas You need what i call still do
    SkyNap

Answer by SkyNap at 12:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I just wanted to say that being a mother of a child with ADHD and autism that he could read at the age of 2, knew his colors, shapes and could count to 20. He did have horrible tantrums (that live up to the term meltdown!) but his brother (2 now) is very "opinionated" and likes to do things independently and is always throwing a tantrum when things don't go his way. I would keep an eye on him, but I wouldn't worry just yet.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I lost you it grandma back I was saying you need to make some ME TIME just for you after reading your question you sure do need it I have a ? is this going off all day sounds to me he is the baby of the family and he should just get a physical on safe side and you talk to the doctor . Hubby reminded me why I got into volunter work our daughter see she and I was so close I couldn't go to
    shower without her yelling at the door , All the yelling gave me bad headaches migarines we found out also found out I had seizures for long time so medicine on right away.. Hubby retired military we lived on base I was on top stair she screamed I miss step came down and landed at door neighbor ran in help me called our hubbys lost baby #5 . Operation no more babys 21 yrs.old
    Then i fouled all up. doctor start M&M deal with micky. after a year it worked. NO SCREAMING..NO HITTING ME. Its not you you are okey . Get him physical & talk doctor
    SkyNap

Answer by SkyNap at 12:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I respectfully disagree with all these women who say ignore it and it will go away. There are times, yes, that is the case. However, if you sense something is wrong, there just might be something wrong. I remember when my two oldest boys were little, I knew right off the bat something was wrong. My oldest, while really sweet and loving, was wayyy to smart and he could not be around "outsiders" he daydreamed a lot and was a sensory seeker. My middle one had HUGE sensory issues, he used to throw tantrums and would scream and yell until he threw up violently. COME TO FIND OUT HE WAS DEALING WITH HEARING ISSUES. Once those were resolved he still dealt with the sensory issues, but no more tantrums. I think there is more going on. Get some rest while you can and look into Sensory Integration. PLEASE. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• He may just be an extra strong-willed child who needs you to exercise a much firmer hand with him that you had to with the other children. We had such a child, and it was a challenge learning how to deal with her. She was the only child I ever spanked during the potty training experience. She was determined she would not use the potty and I finally spanked her one time, and that was the end of that. It was literally a battle of her will against mine, and that may very well be what is happening with your little one. I would certainly try to discipline him well before I considered that he had some disorder. If he is just a stubborn child, he will not grow out of it. In fact, it will only get worse for you as his stakes get higher. Now is the time to teach him that he is to respect and obey your authority and that he is not in charge of his own kingdom, which is typical 2-year old behavior. Make rules and enforce them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2009