fever now with diarrhea.. continueing with the pervious fever question

his fever hasnt let up. and he has had 2 diarrhea poops
. i give him motrin and it only lowers the temp by a few degrees. he woke up twice last nite burning up and a 102 temp. now its at 101 and hasnt moved since i gave him motrin an hour ago. im thinking of going to a 24 hour clinic near my house not the er. what should i do? also he has a doc appt tommorow at 130 but i dont want another sleepless night with a fever baby. he is 1 year old. help!!

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 9:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sara, it has been at least two days right? Now with diarrea I would go in. If only to get him checked for dehydration and possible infection or something. I always gave fevers that young two days. Also, you are giving him meds and the fever isn't breaking.
    Take him in. I have been watching your posts...you are doing well. Let us know how he is.
    Anonymous

• im just going nuts everyone says its no biggy but he wont nap more than an hour and the nurse for my doctors office said give him childrens motrin instead of infant so i did. 1 tsp but its just not breaking the fever.. maybe like .6 degress and thats not all the time. it started yesterday afternoon
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 9:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I am curious, when you pick him up in your arms and tilt him backwards, does he cry harder? What happens when you tug on his ears? (GENTLY)
    Anonymous

• when i try to change his diaper he cries alot and yeah he gets fussy when i tug on them. but then again he is fussy all the time now. he is just so hot
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 9:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• He may have ear infections. My sons used to get them alot. The pressure builds when they lie down and it is relieved a bit when the ear is tugged backwards. Babies will often tug thier ears when they have an infection.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has a hand, foot and mouth virus and she was running a fever for days. The past 2 days she didn't have a fever and then just tonight it went up to 102. She has had severe diarrhea for the past couple of days because of medicine I've been giving her(prescriped by her doc). So I called her doc at 7pm tonight thinking she may be dehydrated and he thought so too. My hubby gave her water and I ran to the store and got Pedialyte. We also gave her tylenol to break her fever. Motrin doesn't help with fevers, it reduces inflammation and pain. If you feel you should go to the ER or a clinic go with your instincts. Once I gave her tylenol and pedialyte, she seemed much better. She was so lethargic before and within minutes she got much better.Good luck
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• well now the temp is 100.1but i expect it to go up in a bit if i dont give him any motrin right now since i gave it to him at 7. at 7 is was 102
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 9:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• Why don't you try infant tylenol once the motrin wears out if he still has a high temp? Have you tried to give him fluids? If you can't get ahold of his doc, why don't you try calling a retail pharmacy or a hospital pharmacy to find out if you can give him anything with that motrin? I work for a hospital pharmacy so if you want the direct number I can give it to you. Just IM me or email me on here. I should be on for the next 20 mins and I'll keep checking.
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2009